Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icecavs7

Sinker style

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

The only downside to sputniks, in my experience, is that I usually will have to lengthen the hook leader 4-5" to keep the hook from tangling up in the sputnik's prongs. And if the prongs don't hold they're worthless.

I have a few sputnik molds somewhere. I purchased them from overseas years ago. I am not a fan of sputniks. If what I am throwing won't hold I go bigger till it does. I have the rods to it so it is no problem until it wears me out. The sputniks are good if you are throwing the max weight your rod can handle and still drifting with regular sinkers than possibly a sputnik will work. The problems I had with sputniks was what was mentioned earlier with the leader but most annoying to me was the wires poking through all of my tackle bags and boxes.

John

sinker mojo can be a big factor...

<br />

same day different fish.....

<br />

These two shots are over seven years ago, maybe a few of them sinkers come sept we could do it again.......sure would like that.

only beef i have with the frog tongue is that the bottom structure and composition tend to effect it staying in place, meaning it may hold better than a 4 sided of the same weight, or Not.... under hard current with moving soft sand, they bury fast and will not budge.... and I have heard of, but not experienced to my knowledge, large fish picking them up and effecting the hook set...

with all that said, i fished with a guy that makes them custom, and his seem to hold better (i have shared a few)... they are longer shaped than the ones you get in stores.

maybe a few of them sinkers come sept we could do it again.......sure would like that.

I thought it was gonna happen this sept and then the freakin' gov shut the beach down.

Love them big eyes...

i some what agree with that fact Lucky, you do have to monitor the set and adjust to a lighter one. i like the way they hold the back side of the ditch and i d rather throw a 4 or six than an 8 like i say maybe its just me BAAAHAAAAAHhahahaahhahahaha

Got a boatload of the frog tongues. All the way up to 14 oz. What the heck was I thinking... Went to them almost exclusively, except for a short lived bout with sputniks...:mad:

The FT offer a slim profile to any current out there. That was the big selling point for me. And while they hold, they never seem to "set" immediately after the cast. At least not like a storm sinker. Call me lazy, but I don't really like having to get up outta my chair after a few minutes to crank in a turn or two of slack. :p Once they're set they do fine, just right after the cast I have an issue with.

I'm also of the opinion that FT sinkers cost me a few yards on my cast. Now I'll be the first to admit I'm not a strong caster. Always seem to come up just a bit short... Have no way of knowing how a FT sinker is orientated during a cast, but I have to believe that the heavier end of the sinker leads the way during a cast. Much like a badminton shuttlecock. And that big ole gaping maw on that end of those things can't be good for distance.

So hopefully Santa is bringing me a Hilts storm sinker mold for Christmas. If he does, I'm gonna kill more frogs than they do on Duck Dynasty... :D

Frog tongue and 3 sided pyramids hold great per ounce. Don't forget bank sinkers. Sometimes it helps to have a slow sweep down current (when you don't have close neighbors). Select the right weight bank to slowly roll down current and let it find the fish for you. Can't say I notice any difference in casting distance with the three, but I imagine the banks have a very, very, slight advantage.