Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icecavs7

Sinker style

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I'm new to posting on here but I wanted to get some ideas from you all. I fish exclusively from the beach up and down the delaware seashore state park and occasionally assateague island. I'm looking to start making my own sinkers and tie my own rigs. Does anyone have opinions on the type of sinker they use (pyramid/egg drop/bank/ hurricane ect)? Any ideas on what you like in terms if molds, rigs ect? I fish all year. Thanks in advance for any help you all may have!

I pour almost all of the sinkers that I use. Most of the time I throw sinkers from the Hilts storm mold which is a three sided sinker. They hold well but some people do not like the way they dig and bounce during the retrieve. I will use frog tongue sinkers and regular pyramid sinkers. Three sided pyramids will roll less than 4 sided but the 4 sided pyramid will cast further than any really usable surf sinker except maybe a sputnik. If you are going to buy 1 mold I would recommend a 4 sided pyramid.

John

Ya gotta make one. Beg a 3 sided 8 oz hilts from somebody. Use it to make a mold outta bondo...lotsa mold release or you'll end up with a blob of bondo with a sinker stuck in it. Pour in 7 oz of lead and stick an eye in it. Repeat 30 times or so until yer mold is shot. Do it all over again. Or...make it easy on yourself and buy an 8 oz do-it for four sided pyramids. Collins will sell ya a 7 oz mold for $150 or so.

What John & Dave sez is right on. Besides my 7 oz favorites I carry 6 & 8 pyramids and 10 oz storm sinkers. Used to carry 12s but I ain't gonna do that anymore.

Don't know about the mold for em but them sinkers load my 1502's just right, got three left from the original batch but the old man been stingy with the lead lately, no amount of softsoapin' or BS has got me any more.....even after I showed him where to fish.........course if I was to receive some more I might do a little more research in to where the fish are actually located...........

<br />

I have seen with my own two eyes that big fish prefer 3 sided, hand poured, specifiaclly weighted and hand marked, custom sinkers "similar" to the one pictured above

:D

I also have been lucky to nab a coffee can full of 4-sided pyramid 7oz from Shannon a couple years back.....

even after I showed him where to fish.........

Not too interested since you don't fish for real fish anymore. Now if you'd quit messin' around with them little bitty things we might be able to talk. Remember, it ain't a fish 'til it reaches 45". :D

4-sided pyramid 7oz...

The hatteras bait shops sell these. But I ain't goin' to hatteras anymore...at least for awhile...sad, sad story what's happened there. And now the bridge is out...

One of the things I truly enjoy about this site are the discussions over matters that would rarely occur to the occasional fisherman.  Regarding sinkers, I have always gone with the pyramid, weight dependent upon conditions.  Regarding rigs, a search of this site (and in particular this forum) will lead to a wealth of information.  I tie my own rigs, largely based upon what I have learned through members kind enough to contribute their ideas to this site.   It is a great feeling to catch a big fish (or even a small one) on a rig you tied yourself.  My fingers still hurt when I think back to how many times I had to practice a snell knot with 100# test before I finally got it right.  Now it seems like second nature. 

Although opinions always vary, the fish-finder in varying lengths is a proven winner.

I have a bucket in the vehicle with an assortment of 4 - 9 oz sinkers every time I go out. I throw 4 sided pyramids during normal conditions, switch to storms when the pyramids roll, and switch to sputniks when the storms roll. Increase an ounce or two every time I switch, as needed. Except for sputniks that is. A 5oz sputnik will usually hold when a 8oz storm or pyramid won't. A friend molds some pyramids for me every now and then and we'll split the cost for a bulk of sputniks online as sputniks can get expensive. Find a good sputnik mold and you'll save yourself some money in the long run I'm sure.