Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

blank suggestion

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I think i can find room for one more rod...

9-10' (prefer 10)... spinning.... fast tip.... for casting bombers, mirrolures and up to 2 oz metal... Will NEVER use it over 2 but would love for it to handle 2 reasonably well.... basically 3/4 to 2 oz i guess is what i'm saying.... doesn't have to be great on really big fish as i fish open beaches AND rarely catch anything!! LOL

thanks for all ideas...

obviously, on the cheaper end, Rainshadow SW1087 (9ft) and Rainshadow SW1207 (10ft). I cant speack about the new graphite rods yet as I havent fish with em yet.

a little more expensive, Lami GSB 1081L (9ft) and Lami GSB1201L (10 ft).

Both are great rods. The lami 10 ft is better for pencil popping, but on the light weight stuff, I like the rainshadows...

BC

Try the rainshadow Su1262f, if you don't like it or want to sell for some reason, LOL, I'll have another.......... Kingfish

Seriously, my ten year old daughter cast a 2 oz., 306 feet at sportcast SE, with one.

The 1265/2 is a killer open beach stick. I can throw 1/2 oz bucktails and 5" mambo minnows just fine, but I can really heave a 2 3/8oz super strike popper to the horizon. I owned the 1145 but found it much less versatile (the 1265 loves braid while the 1145 was so stiff that felt in danger or ripping the lips off the fish). If you're ever on the outer cape you can give my 1265 a test drive.

It must be obvious if I got it right. I was testing myself on that one. Trying to figure out what surf rod is used for what, and actually remember. Not that easy since I don't build them, nor fish them. I'm getting there though.

I would not consider a 1204 XRA as a "fast action" blank. It has a 10-11 64ths tip and a moderate mor parabolic action. Nice blank that will work perfect with those lure weights but not fast action.

BillY: FYI: I have one of those 1204's on my machine now wink.gif

Worcboy... your input there is VERY helpful.. you described exactly why i would not want a 1204... I'm sure it's awesome, just not for me and my style casting and fishing...

sounds like the 1207 or 1087 rainshadow may be in my future...

thanks

TB,

FYI

Went on the golf course this afternoon. Calm wind, 3 casts with the Su1262f Rainshadow. 3/4 oz. first cast---260 feet. Second cast 1.5 oz., 305 feet. Third cast, 1 oz., 301 feet. 3/4 oz. cast against slight wind. Would have made more casts but fund raiser to attend with better half on back deck glaring. Will fish blank first time today, report later. kingfish

Wayne,

sounds like something i should look into...

Duckwump,

My trip changed, i'm going the very end of the month now... By the way, gave the gambit 24 (i got the standard) a test run today... over 160 yards with a standard hatteras cast with 4 oz and 14# mono... my favorite rod EVER!