Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skrilla

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000C no serial

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I recently acquired an older 5000C but alas no serial# under the reel foot. I was wondering if anyone knows the manufacturing dates of this particular model. Black plates, red high speed sticker, red plastic push button, clicking drag, etc.

Also, my local tackle shop didn't have any drags that fit and we couldn't find any for this particular model. I ended up grinding down Calcutta 100 Carbontex drags as they were the closest in size. Are there any carbon fiber drags already cut to fit this reel?

And last question, I've heard of no serial numbers under the foot... but why are some reasons why? Aftermarket or possibly factory replacement frame?

[img=

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/whoaitslen2/proof/131205_0010.jpg]

[img=

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/whoaitslen2/proof/131205_0013.jpg]

I have ordered replacement frames before and recieved one with a serial # but most of the time it will have no number or have a grind mark on the bottom of the reel foot. So I will guess that the reel has been repaired or built from scratch.

Once you get it apart and match a schematic to it smoothdrag, should have carbon drag washers for it.

Nice reel, the red thumb bars are hard to find.  Smoothie makes washers to fit it that would be better performing than the shimano's.  hookless has them cheaper than they sell them direct and he'll tell you the years that reel was in the Abu lineup too.  He just made me up my Christmas present reel and had it to my door in 3 days, he ships fast.

your reel was made some around 1976 as far as the drag they make carbon magtrix drag washers get a hold of jerry at  hookless i think he has them your frame is a replacement i buy alot of abu frames and all i have bought have no numbers on them 

Good day. Very few replacement frames for a small run of reels bore the s/n. That's because the factory branded them as they made the reels. So replacement later on frames would be bare. From the factory.

From a warranty center, the number would have a big dremel X across it, or totally obliterated by dremel, brass showing through.

The sideplates for your reel are long gone John in black, and rapidly going away in grey, and red. If you want to fish the reel, and make some coin down the road, remove the handle, star, and sideplates, and replace with scuzzy ones from other reels. The handle would sell for 10 something, maybe more, star the same, and if the plates are not all "boat-rashed", should fetch you 30.00 the pair, or more.

Just sayin'.

Oh yeah: shouting now: If and when you take the reel down for mods or fix, you need to engage the cast function before you put the tranny side on the frame. The thumb bar activation pin will not work otherwise. Note that little crescent-shaped hole on the bottom of the brake plate.

That's where the thumb bar pin goes. It will not go there till you put a screwdriver in, and flip the reel into cast mode, so the pin can fit inside the crescent. If you already are aware of this kewl, but others reading the thread may not catch this, and wonder why their reel won't engage.

Later 46/56/66 palming reels addressed this small glitch, but not the first run like yours.