Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fatdad5

Cal's drag grease

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Great stuff. Smooth startup and buttery smooth runs if the fish is big enough. Also prevents corrosion from building up in the main gear. A small jar goes a long way.

You can use it on gears. I've gotten back reels that were greased with Cal's on the moving parts and they were smooth and showed no signs of corrosion. But a 1oz jar of Cal's is about 8 or 9 bucks and will go fast if you use them for other parts of the reel. For about the same price you can get a 14oz tube of marine grease for non drag lubrication and that will go a long way. IMHO save the Cal's for drags and use marine grease for other parts of the reel. That will get you more bang for the buck and last you a long while. ;)

Cals is cheaper per ounce if you buy the larger container. I only use it on my drag washers. IMO it seems to work best if you coat and rub the grease in lightly. They make two different types of grease for different types of temperatures and reel sizes. I have yet to try the Cal's light yet but I just ordered some. I spent the entire evening last night greasing all my reels.

I can think of a couple uses for drag grease: 1) heat reduction, 2) corrosion prevention. Subtracting using it as gear lube, what other purpose does it serve? Am I over-thinking this? I know using standard wheel grease is a bad idea because it gets sticky.

Thanks!

Drag grease also waterproofs the drag washers so that salt water doesn't penetrate and leave salt deposits.

I love Cal's grease for drags (can't recommend it highly enough) but prefer a lighter grease for gears as Cal's makes the reel a little harder to wind particularly when casting and retrieving lures.

Cheers!

SB

I use Cal's on all Carbontex drag material but not on Penn's HT-100's. Many of us have found that using it on Penn's drag washers greatly reduces drag pressure. If your not using much drag Cal's is OK on Penn washers but after a year the grease will look like black mush. Penn's HT-100's put out allot of black dust. Carbontex doesn't.

On offshore conventional reels I use the marine grease on the gears. It's the only grease that sticks to the gears. Other greases just get pushed out of the way. Spinning reels, Baitcasters, etc. need a lighter grease b/c the heavy grease will make them feel sluggish.