Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rickhern

high frame conventional guides

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I used to have a lami 132 1m built conventional with high frame surf guides. The rod used 5 guides, starting with a 20HH. This setup worked great, no line slap and no excessive wraps. Why didn't this concept catch on? I am looking for a guide set for 1261MH. I think Fuji stopped making those gides. Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks.

Rick

Check the Mudhoe site.They have $IC "High Frame Surf Guides" in the Fuji section,they might be what you have in mind.I think you can accomplish the same thing with Fuji Hardloy BNLG, BSVG and a couple other guides as the frames are pretty tall in the larger sizes.Many Drum rods have been built with 25,20,20,20,and a 20 tip,works fine with a stiff,wide tip lami blank.Fuji's casting research that led up to the well marketed "new concept" system of many small,light guides has left the big gude surf rods at least temporarily out of favor with most rodbuilders.The big guides have some real advantages though,especially if you are fishin in seagrass or tide generated "****" and using a shockleader tied to your running line. Also,Rick, you might want to check out the high frame conventional guides with blue rings in the MH "new products" section.

Thanks Possum. What do you think about this setup:

HVSG 30H, 25H, 25M, 20M, 20M, 16L, 16 tip.

This will be used with penn 975 and newell on ocassion. I do use shock leaders and like larger guides for that reason. Any negatives you can see? Should I start with 25H and add another 16L?

Thanks for the input.

rick

Here are some general spacing guidelines:

#25 stripper 30-32 inches from center of reelseat.

1st 16L guides 6-8 inches from tip top.

You will need to test cast and static deflect to determine the final position of the guides.