Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimA

Few Questions

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Going to build a couple of new surf rods. Blanks are Allstar 1145 and 1266 both conventional. Ive built 3 rods in the past and of course made a few mistakes. Now I realize before I start building, I need to ask a few basic questions so that I can get it all right this time. Any help you guys can give me will be great.

1. What kind of glue to hold on the tip and reel seat?

2. Cork tape for the grip, one layer or two?

3. Color preserver, how much difference does it make?

4. Hook keeper, anyone use them or does the line get caught during a cast? I dont like hooking plugs to the guides but with no level wind, hook keeper would be nice.

5. Winding checks, do you use them with a cork tape grip, or any place else?

Thanks for any help, I realize Ive always skated around these problems in the past and done what I thought was right. My other rods dont look the best but are funtional. This time, Im hoping to take it slow and get it done the right way.

Tim,

Here is how i would handle each of your questions. This are my personal feelings on each and other may feel differently. However, they work for me.

Glue - 5 minute epoxy for the tip and a slow cure epoxy for the seat. I use U40 Rod Bond for the seat.

Cork Tape - I prefer to use the 1/8 inch tape. One layer or two is dependent on the grip diameter desired. Just make sure to overlap the seams should you put on a second layer.

Color preserver - I like to use Gudebrod 811 diluted with alcohol. I apply two thin coats and let it cure 72 hours before applying finish. Check part 4 of my series of rod building articles on this site that addresses finishing.

Hook keeper - if you want a hook keeper use a #10 single foot hardaloy guide. Much more durable.

Winding checks - I don't use them.

I would add (as a major newby building a 1266 conventional right now), if you're like I am and order parts specifically for each rod, measure the tip and but dimensions first. I had to order another SIC top - rod was size 8 tip instead of 7. Personally, I also wish I had used a size 20 seat instead of 22 because I like the seat slightly lower than the grip and mine is a smidgeon higher. I will probably have other things I'll wish I'd done differntly (start wrapping tonight). As I said, I'm a rod building worm next to the other guys on this forum, so take my input for what (little) it's worth!

Thanks for all the help so far. I did forget to ask one more question.

I see that most conventionals start with a size 20 guide as the first, any reason why or why not to start with a 25? I was thinking of going slightly bigger but not sure if its necessary.

Good question.

If you are looking to use a reel in size like the Abu 6500 or Calcutta 400, then a #20 stripper is fine. For a wider spool reel I would go to a #25.