Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kip

color choices

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

i just finished wrapping my first rod, and while the quality was not up to my expectation level, it wasn't too bad. the bigger areas on the rod were much easier to wrap with smaller areas near the tip being more difficult. i picked a yellow underwrap (color number 207 NCP) with a cobalt blue and deep green nyon overwrap. the combination looked terrific dry and after the color preserver was applied, but darkened considerably with the epoxy finish.

if you wet the colors beforehand, will that give you an approximation of what they will look like after the epoxy has been applied? ran into a little trouble in that the first guide on the tip section was in the area for the ferrule wrap. i did about a 7" unwrap with "A" sized thread, and then wrapped the guide with "D". then i wrapped the ferrule area with "D", but according to the calculation that i was given has the ferrrule wrap in the middle of the guide wrap so a couple of small areas have only a single wrap of "A" sized thread (about 3/4 of an inch up 5" from the end of the rod). is that going to be a problem?

i am all new to this so i apologize if this stuff seems trivial. i plan to fish the rod this weekend and the rest of the striper season down here and then tear it down and rewrap it. thanks for you advice...

rod breakaway/allstar 1477 "special" 2pc 12'8" 2 to 5 oz

Kip,

not trivial at all..

I colors will get darker if if NCP and color preserver is used. the best thing to do, if have a junk blank around (black preferably, or the same color of the blank you want to build on). then do a trial run with epoxy.

dont worry about the sinlge wrap of A, integrity wise, it shouldnt matter. it only effects the looks...

congrats on the rod!

BC