Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripersteve

Info needed building first rod 1508

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

i finaly got the urge to build my first rod.i ordered a rainshadow 1508,bought some fuji sic casting guides,finish,and thread.got a couple of rod building dvds and books.i just have a few questions for the seasoned vets.should i buy a power wrapper or just roll buy hand?i realy dont want to spend $750 on a renzetti.whats a good middle of the road power wrapper able to do surf rods?next question whats the best cork tape made,something thats going to hold up a while.should i build it at 12ft6 or is it ok to cut it down to 12 ft 3.i also need guide placement.i have 3 factory 1509 can i copy that lay out or do differently.thanks for any guideance

WOW thats alota questions! wink.gif

I'll answer one for you.....

I only build surf rods and my wrapper works fine.

A cardboard box with the top and front cut off.

A v notch cut out of each side for the blank to rest on. Thread spool in a glass passing through a phone book for tension up to the blank.Cost.....$0.00

icon14.gif

The cardboard box wrapper works great. For my first rod I had some extra 1 X 6 boards around so I made upright V-blocks to hold the blank as I turned it by hand. My first equipment investment was a cheap motor from an electric BBQ spit. I built a base for it and used it to turn the rod slowly when I applied finish so it wouldn't sag. But there's nothing that says you can't do the whole operation turning the blank by hand.

Cork tape comes in 1/16" and 1/8" thicknesses. Most people I know use the 1/16". Buy about 3 ft of corktape for every foot of blank you want it to cover. I don't know of any particular brands. I just ask for corktape.

Someone else in the forum will have to address your other questions.

Have fun.

Steve, Sell everything associated with rod building now! This is a dangerous path that your headed down.

I've been building rods for a little over a year now, and I can tell you it's very addictive, fun, frustrating and habit forming....and I love it. About your questions...I would hand wrap the first couple of rods you build not sure about the cardboard box wrapper. I'm sure it works, but a rod of that diameter and length could be alot to handle. I built my own rod wrapper out of 1x4's and 1x6's and it was as much fun as building the rods. As far as power wrappers go there are some good middle of the road ones out there, and then there's the renzetti. I was fortunate enough to get one of these for a Christmas present, and it is absolute quality in every aspect. As far as your rod questions go, yes you can cut 3" of the tip but I'd only do it to increase the amount of weight you'd be throwing. I built two cascade 12'6" blanks, and cut 6" off the tip...no problems, but it will change the action of the blank. Instead of cork tape you may want to consider Nu-Skin shrink for the grip and foregrip. I just did two rods with this stuff and really like it. If you are going to underwrap the guides (I would) measure one half inch beyond each guide foot to determine the length...this keeps the wraps uniform, and when you wrap the guides just start your wrap 1/4" from the end of the underwrap. If you are going to do trim bands you also have enough space for them. Guide placement can be roughed in using a rod of similar length but taping everything in place, then actually running line with a load on it is really the way to go. You can adjust the guides until the line follows the blank correctly. The main thing is to have fun! You'll learn more from your own experience then I could hope to tell you here. I'll try to include some pic's of the wrapper I built to give you some ideas.

rodstand2.jpg

rodstand4.jpg

rodstand.JPG

[ 02-08-2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: derf ]

thanks for all the info guys.cant wait to start building.one gunner where can i find the nu skin shrinkwrap?i have a breakaway ldx that has shrinkwrap grips.sounds like about the same stuff.im probably going to build my own wrapper with wheels from inline skates or something similar.i did a search on here and came up with the motor to power it if i go that rought.its a dayton 2m033 from grainger.says its a 5000rpm 1/5th hp.i just have to come up with a chuck and pulley and belt,and maybe a reostat to slow it up.good rain day project.thanks for all the info

You can use the guide size and spacing on your 1509 as a starting point for guide layout, might need to add a guide or tighten up spacing towards the tip a little because the 1508 is a bit softer and the tip flexes more.

I've seen 1508/1509 cut down as short as 11ft,8inch, whatever length you decide on trim from the butt, NOT the tip on that blank.

Enjoy the project...