Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Question on guide sizes

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of variations in guide sizes on surf outfits. Is this mainly a matter of preference or is there any hard theory behind size choice, as far as larger or smaller overall.

Use your search button and type in guides, you'll see some spirited discussions and wide variety of theories on the subject, lots of variables to consider including the style of surfcasting you do and the reel and line choice you pick. Alot of rod/reel setups work well with a small stripper and small guides, some do not. Tight Wraps wink.gif

Spinning or conventional?Mono or braid?What reel?Bait or plugs? What blank?....are all factors in determining guide choice and set ups for custom rods.

In my opinion...I'd have to say that 95% of the custom spinning rods you see on the beach,have guides on them that are a "tad" too large. wink.gif

By all means, experiment with different set ups, and do what works best for your particular style of fishing.

thanks, I'll go a few sizes smaller than I had planned (was going to start with a 50).

How's this sound for an 8 1/2 foot (spinning) setup: 40, 25, 16, 12, 10, 8?

Depends on the reel. What is the lip diameter of the spool? You should be able to get away with a stripper guide that's half the lip diameter.