Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fasteddie

blank /question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

fasteddie, Harnell's are all fiberglass, and excellent, if heavyweight stuff. smile.gif No reel seat would indicate a custom build, and since it's a spinner I'm gonna guess it's most likely built on a 542 blank. If you've got a calipers - or a real fine eyeball with finely graduated ruler - you could check the tip diameter for a pretty safe model confirmation.

10/64" = model 542 (most likely suspect)

12/64" = model 724 (rarely seen)

18/64" = model 552 (ultra-heavyweight, but possible)

Ditch Jigger's got a lot more hands-on experience than I do with Harnells, and could probably be better help with lure weight ranges.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 12-03-2001).]

I've used both the 542 and 552. For the 542, I would say 2-8 oz. Harnells are pretty solidly built, of old style E-glass, and can probably handle more weight than the specs call for if you're lob casting. For the 552, I'd say 5 oz up to ???. I've never found the top range, even casting 8 oz of lead and a whole squid, or half a bunker. I'd say 16 oz easy.

Bill Klein , Ditch Jigger :

Thank You both for the great information

on Harnell. I be useing it for pluging ,and lob casting.i was thinking changing the guides to fuj.low rider guides , i be useing

power-pro or whiplash in 50 or 65 test.

i measure the tip i came up with 7/32.=[14/64] took it from bottom of tip. plus or - one /32".

The 542 weighs just about the same as a lami SB 121 3M or a 136 3M. They're heavy as compared to a comparahle graphite, but right in the ballpark with most popular glass plugging rods in the 10-11 foot range.

The 552 is a bear no matter how you slice it.