Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

judging/testing rod/blank "power"

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

This "power" thing has always been a mystery to me because it seems to me that "power" is a relative statement when it comes to rods/blanks.

Do any of you-all,especially you Al,"load test"a blank after spining and before "construction"?And if yes then how do you do it and how much do you load the blank to do the "power check"?

Just to start the ball rolling I'll say that after spining the blank the next thing I do is a "power or flex"check.I'm hesitant to reveal my "stone-age methods and mentality"first.I'm really interested in the thinking and practical application on this.HELP!!!!!!!! Neil

Neil,

Power is a relative thing. I relate it to the type of fishing I am doing and the hook setting and fishing fighting characteristics I am looking for in the finished rod. Over 30 years of rodbuilding and fishing has taught me the optimum points desired in a rod for a specific application.

The finished rod has to have the capability of reaching the fish if it's a casting rod or the ability to hold a certain weight of sinker at a specific water depth without straining if its a boat rod.

Yes, I initially flex load a blank even before spining. Once the blank is spined I flex load it again. I particularly look at the power curve of the loaded blank and where the blank 'locks up". i.e.where the blank stops bending toward the butt. This will tell me the power of the blank relative to the application I intend to use it for.

Al

Thanks for the reply Al.I do it after spining so that I load test both the"spine" and the stiff side since I locate it as well when spining.I've found,not infrequently,that the stiff side isn't necessarily 180deg from the spine.

I also look for the point where the blank stops flexing but have some additional reasons; I almost always use that as the starting point for the location of my first guide,it's also the point where I want to look at a change over to single foot guides.

Thanks again,Al.Anyone else? Neil