Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

warpping a single area multiple times

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

When wrapping a single section of a blank with multiple layers of thread do you back off the tension of the wrapps so as to not put too much pressure on that section of the blank. specifically the tie-off ends of my butt wrapp will end up having 3 layers of thread. should these be done with less tension?

Sorry for the obscure and maybe silly question.

When wrapping a single section of a blank with multiple layers of thread do you back off the tension of the wrapps so as to not put too much pressure on that section of the blank. specifically the tie-off ends of my butt wrapp will end up having 3 layers of thread. should these be done with less tension?

Sorry for the obscure and maybe silly question.

no such thing.

to some degree it depends on the blank. a heavy blank will take more tension. however, from my experiance there is really no need to wrap anything that tight, count the turns of thread you have on a guide and add up 2 to 4 ounces of tension on each turn, those guides are fastened securely. if you are worried about damaging the blank you are likely wrapping too tight. on my offshore rods i never have more than 2 or 3 oz of tension at the most and the guides do not move.

The tie-off's on a butt wrap should have the most tension so the wrap doesn't unravel before you get a coat of epoxy on. I usually wrap butt wrap tie-off's up, then back where I started, giving my tie-off two layers.

Yes, back off the tension for doing several layers.

For instance, I tripple wrap all my heavy stuff and I use pretty light tension on the under-wraps. They are coated with epoxy before I do the over-wraps and they don't hold anything down.

The over-wraps get more tension so the guide flexes with the rod and doesn't crack the wrap.