Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

New Rainshadow Blanks..

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

FYI:

Rainshadow has a new line of Surf Blanks coming out that I wanted to let you guys know about. With the SW series (the Composite blanks that Oznavad introduced me to) doing so well here, (everyone who has sused them seems to love them)I wanted to try out these new blanks. They are all graphite (SU Series). They have 5 blanks that I think would be appropriate for "our" type of fishing here. a 9 ft light(1087) and medium (1088), and 10 ft light(1207), medium (1208)and heavy(1209).

I have a 1209 that I recently finished building. This rod is a beast. It compares favorably to Lami's 10 ft MH model. Its a perfect Bridge rod (for big fish, 50lb test, etc) and also great rod for throwing weights from 4-5 on the low end to up to 12 on the high end. I hung a 12 oz sinker off the tip and it barely made a dent. I can easily see chunking with this rod with 10 oz and big chunk. The rod is very light for its length and the finish is beauty.

I am also building the 1087. its not finished yet but I will let you guys know how it is when Im done...

bc

Its coming... just finished the butt section...

1 thing I have noticed, these new blanks have a little more power than the SW series.. at first glance, the 1087 would throw 3/4 oz up to 3 if need be... the SW series is more like .5 oz - 2 1/2 if need be...

I should be done by sunday night with this one!

BC

Don Mook, who was the lead designer for All Star, just went to work for Batson. The SU series will probably be very similar to their All Star counterparts---just a hunch, of course wink.gif

The All Star 1209 and the factory breakaway LDFS/C 110H that it's built on are becoming the Canal jig rod of choice. They have all the balls of the Lami 122 1MH at much less weight. The Rainshadow SU 1209 will probably retail for a little less than the All Star. Should be a hell of a value. If you hold your rod while chunking, it'll wear you out a lot less than a Lami 122 or 136 1MH.

The new SU1209 will be perfect for the ditch. Just picked one up last weekend and will be wrapping it here soon. It is "very" much the same as the Allstar 1209. And your right, that thing is a beast.. biggrin.gif

what Ditch said... smile.gif

as far as the canal goes, do you think that rod is too much for the Ditch, Ditch??? I mean, 12 barely bends it while hanging.

BC

JPowers and slipknot use one wink.gif

As far as too much rod---the bigger problem in the Ditch is not enough rod. I've seen JP's bent all the way to the reel seat on a fish. A Harnell 552 or a glass Lami 121 5M isn't too much rod.

The ideal Batson set-ups for the Ditch are an SU 1208 for jigs up to 3 oz and plugs, and a 1209 for 4 oz and up. At what these blanks will run, you could do both for the price of a high-end Lami.

what Ditch said... smile.gif

as far as the canal goes, do you think that rod is too much for the Ditch, Ditch??? I mean, 12 barely bends it while hanging.

BC

BC,

The Ditch can run like the East River on a moon tide.

I gotta get back theresmile.gif

Nope, not too many 122 1MHs in use. I'd say the most popular jig rods nowadays are the SB 121 3M (some even go up to the 5M), the XRA 126 1MH, the All Star 1209. Followed by the XRA 1205 and the 120 1M. Most guys want the cast and the 122 1MH probably won't cast 3-4 oz that well. My personal favorite is the 126 1MH. It's a beast but it doesn't have the weight of the 122. Easier to load too, in all probability.

For plugging, far and away the most popular rod is the XRA 1322, followed by the 3M in S-glass.

For herring/chunking, most use the SB 121 3M with a foot lopped from the butt.

getting Back on Topic wink.gif

I have to say I really like the Rainshadow blanks. I guess this will be the third season I have been using the SW series from the SW60M in a spin to the SW1208 in conventional. I have yet to have one break including the two SW70M's I built for my boys ages 11 & 7. The SW967, 1087-1088 are perfect NE salt spin to handle anything except the nast canal stuff. I did find the 1208 too light for canal jigging ( OK KLE You were right!!!) but a great plug rod for big wood. Looks like the SU series should fill that gap in nicely. Anybody else feel the same?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Batson, related to batson nor am I a dealer/distributor for Batson. I am just a cellar dweller rod builder......

biggrin.gif