dabucktailman44

Essential plugs for a beginner surfcaster

Rate this topic

289 posts in this topic

I am 13 and just getting into surf fishing and will mostly be fishing the rocky shorelines on cape ann MA. What do you guys think are the essential plugs for me to have for the upcoming season ahead. i have put 200$ away just for this so i wont be frugal with my money. please tell me your reccomendations.

Thanks,

Joe 

I would get some bombers (16A, remove the middle hook, bone, black, "chicken scratch"), SP minnows, some pencil poppers (the plastic cotton cordell ones are inexpensive and work well). For a more expensive lure I would get a couple super strike needles. An assortment of soft plastics (sluggos, etc.) and you're off to a good start. Invest some of that $200 in a copy of Zeno Hromin's book "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures".

If you've got time on your hands (and what 13 year old doesn't) you might consider building a couple of wooden plugs from a kit this winter. They are inexpensive to buy and eventually you can build some really nice metal lips, which go for $20-30 if you buy them ready made. The pencil poppers are a good starting point for an easy build. But they will definitely end up costing more than a plastic cotton cordell.

Another suggestion - start using braid, 20 or 30# - as soon as possible. If you fish with mono you will lose a lot of those lures, although around the rocks you prolly will lose some anyhow. I used to buy a dozen or more lures after each week of vacation. Now I only lose a lure or two a year.

buy a couple metals, a couple poppers and a couple bucktails.  

get out and fish and dont sit home reading the internet.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gully View Post

buy a couple metals, a couple poppers and a couple bucktails.  

get out and fish and dont sit home reading the internet.  

Bingo.

Nice to see a young buck getting into something constructive... Needle fish, sp minnow, kast master metals, pencil popper, bucktails. Super strike makes good product. Best way is to try it all out and you will start to see what you enjoy fishing and what works in your area. Best of luck

Pm me your address. I'll send you a copy of my book and enough plugs to get started. I think all of us here have more than we could use in a lifetime. Save your $ for some braid or maybe another piece of essential equipment if you need it.

Zeno Hromin

nice gesture to help get this young guy started. Nice to see some people who are receptive to new people in the hobby. 

Also, I found this article from field and stream helpful when I was starting out:

I'm new to this sport also and I caught most of my fish this year on a black bomber or a white bucktail. Check out John Skinner's videos to show you how to tune your bucktail based on the conditions. Good luck. 

Edited by TimS
commercial link removed

This thread got me thinking.  How would each of us do things differently if we could start over at age 13.

Consider how talented this fisherman could be if he bought one good raod, one good reel, and 1 or 2 bucktails.  And jsut went and fished.  

Just a thought.

I would say get some Cotton Cordell pencil poppers, 1 large, 1 small.

Cotton Cordell Redfins, large and small, bone and blurple

Chicken scratch Daiwa SP minnow

Medium Gibbs or Beachmaster Danny- White

Superstrike Needlefish- yellow or chartreuse

Hey,

I'm Matthew and I'm 14 and love fishing, I'm in your same boat. I'm just starting out as well. If you go to any fishing shows let me know I would love to meet a fisherman of my age. All my freinds spent here days playing video games while I fish, I could really use a good fishing friend!

Tight lines

Gotta agree with most of the Posts above, Get a few Atoms poppers as well, pretty cheap, along with some soft baits such s Sluggos or Hogys, simple to work and VERY effective, just Dont get too discouraged! it can take time to hone in on your retrieves and picking your spots, but after you do your research I am sure that youll be able to be successful!