Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucktail

Surf Spinning Blank for Pencil Poppers

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I am interested in building a 10 ft graphite spinning rod specifically designed for 2oz pencil popping. I currently have both factory made 2 piece Lami and St Croix. I am looking to switch over to 1 piece. I read that a lot of the guys like Lami for this but I think the St Croix has a bit slower action and at least for me works the plug better. I was thinking of the Ben Dore Elite

blank but have never felt it.What do you think of this blank, or do you think there may be something better suited for pencils

Thanks

Frank

Frank,

I am not familiar with the St. Croix blanks. However, I have built a number of the Lami XRA1204 blanks for spinning and I am told they are great for fishing pencils.

I am sure that both John "Habs" Habrick and Ditch Jigger will offer their thought on this subject.

Al

I haven't tried it yet for that application, but the XRA 1204 certainly has the right "feel" for a good pencil blank---it's one of the few graphites that would even be on my "consider" list for that purpose.

The only other one that will have close to the right flex is the GSB 120 1L. The 1M would do in a pinch, but you have to work a lot harder.

can I ask why you are sold on graphite for pencil popping? Yes the ron arra is a really good pencil popping rod in addition to other things. but if you want a true pencil popping rod, you cant get any better than a 10-11 ft Lami S-glass.. Its MUCH cheaper than the Ron Arra and in my opinion will work better for PENCIL POPPING than anything else. you can build an 11 ft SGlass for less than $150. A Ron Arra would be considerable more for just the blank!!

BC

frank, by the way, I am having considering success making the flies we talked about on saturday. I had to buy some additional supplies, but they are coming out exactly like the ones you had!!

you can try my sglass if you like. Im sure youll love it!!!

Dave

Guys,

Thankyou for your input,I appreciate it

Al I look forward to meeting you on 2/09

Ditch your absolutely right about that 10ft med Lami. I tried to use it with pencils I worked myself to death, and the plug just wouldn't kick right.

BC I never considered fiberglass,I thought it was too heavy, I went back to the Lami catalog and found the 11.5ft was only a fraction of an ounce more than the 10ft lt. graphite. Sometime when we get together I would like to try it out. Im glad your doing so well with those flys, believe me your going to lose a million of them. I knew I had more stuff than I showed you. I looked in my shed when I got home and found a bunch of material and hooks.Im suprised you buy that stuff locally, hopefully you found blue. PM me your address I will send These supplies to you

Frank

Frank---if you want to go the S-glass route, the blank I'd go with is the SSB 136 2M. The 3M is a better all around rod and will work for pencils, but like the 1M graphite Lami, you'll have to work more---tho nowhere near as hard. For a dedicated PP rod, I'd go with the 2M. You could take a bit off the butt, but not too much unless you want to end up with a noodle rod.

The best rod for pencils was the SSB 136 2F, which had greater wall thickness and more beef in the butt section than the 2M---unfortunately, Lami discontinued that one in S-glass 5 or 6 years ago. They still make it in the traditional yellow E-glass---you could chop a foot off that one without doing much to affect its power.

I'm not so sure, however, that the savings of S-glass over graphite are that great. Lami's S-glass blanks are close to, if not over, 3 figures now. The 120 1L blank should run you about $150 to $160 and the XRA 1204 maybe another $15. The prices jump up to over $200 on the 1M and the longer/heavier XRA blanks.

OK--I just checked Sea Isle's prices on the blanks mentioned, and here's how they shake out:

SSB 136 2M--->$94.95

SSB 136 3M--->$104.95

GSB 120 1L--->$149.95

XRA 1204----->$164.95

Ditch,

I will look into the ssb136 2m, BC is going to let me test cast his. I will definately want to see the XRA120 4 before I make the decision. I fish with someone who absolutely loves his for darters and bucktails. If it work pencils as well as I hope it will I'll go with the Arra.

Thanks for the prices and advice

Frank

A GSH138-2MH is an excellent rod for 2 OZ pencil poppers. It won't handle a 3.5 Hawg Hunter but for a two OZ pencil , its perfect. Long with little taper (it's a steelhead rod) , the rod would be very similar to one of the surf design glass rods mentioned as far as working the plug but much lighter.

An XRA 1204 is a nice choice too.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 01-08-2002).]

I built a Lamiglas GSB 120 1L last season as a pencil popper rod and was very pleased with its performance. The rod performs more like fiberglass than graphite and it has a nice slow action. I use the rod in places where there is a great deal of sideways current and the tips on faster rods tend to bog down as the popper swings down stream. I've never built a 1204 Arra but a friend of mine broke two of them so you might want to take that into consideration before building one. Incidentally, when I built my 120 1L, I used a #50 double footed guide and used single foots the rest of the way up, which preserved alot of the natural action of the blank and kept the weight down.

Brian,

Zipper your lip pleeeeeeez.

G

P.S. It was a prototype Lami blank that was never produced since they brought out the Arra series instead.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 01-10-2002).]

View PostAl, that green 10' graphite spinner I have, whatever the catalog equivalent may be, is perfectly pencil poppoppoppopalbe.

View PostBrian,

Zipper your lip pleeeeeeez.

G

P.S. It was a prototype Lami blank that was never produced since they brought out the Arra series instead.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 01-10-2002).]

Interesting- Brian, is this rod that you mentioned the Super Surf blank that Lami introduced in 2007?