Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassmaster

GSB 1201L questions

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi AL I have a few blanks, collecting dust and gettin ready to wrap them But........

On the gsb1201L I would like to use it for plugging. Its 10 feet as You know.

Could I cut the butt section to make the rod 9 1/2 feet to be easyier to use all night for pluggin? Or am I out of my mind?

Just tossin this out for some feed back.

How would the rod handle?

Thanks Al.wink.gif Dave.......

A bubbah---some guy out on LI makes a pissah eel rod by chopping a foot off the butt of that blank--I think you could do a 6" trim no problemo.

I just spent a week in Mass and lost all the "R"s from my viocabulary cwm24.gif

Got snake?

Dave,

As Ditch said, No Ploblemo!. I am constantly trimming blanks both from the tip and the butt to get the action I am looking for. Trimming 6 inches off the butt of a 10 foot blank will do little to change its action.

Al

Thanks Al and Ditch Jiggahhwink.gif

Do You think It would be good at 9 1/2 for pluggin and not be to heavy thats why I want to chop it.And would I loose any casting distance? I like 9 footers for pluggin.

My bud has a st crox, Its 10 a footer and the thing is lighter than my 9 foot rodicon15.gif

Thanks again Davewink.gif

Bass,

The 1201L weighs 8 ounces. If you trim it from the butt you will probably drop 1/2-3/4 ounces. The equivalent St Croix 10 foot blank weighs 6.5 ounces.

It will make a sweet plugging rod and for casting eels. You did not specify if it will be for spinning or conventional.

Al

Sorry Al, Im goin spinning on this. I just want to make sure I make the right move B4 cutting this blank. Im Thinking double foot for collecting and then single foots after that to keep the blank light fast and crisp.

Not sure of what reel will go on it, Maybe a neptune 6500 maybe or I have a taurrus But it ways a ton and is on a grey lami, ferget the number, its a 10 footer.

Thanks for your help, I want to get more input and take my time on this blank as the season is all done for me, well almostwink.gif

Ya gettin fish??

Thanks Dave........

Do me a favor and add one or two guides on the tip section so you don't break this one!!

Seriously though, I'd like to know how so many of your rods break. Maybe there are stress points caused by improper guide placement, and the fact that the fish in your aquarium are pretty big and plentiful?

Tell us how the rods are breaking, anmd maybe someone can help you out. ( 1/2 foot rods do make a nice jousting lance, huh? Billy

Hey BM,

I just got a GSB120 1L wrapped up by Tim. It's ten foot and light as could be. I threw an Abu 6500 on there (yep, conventional) which didn't add too much weight. (I'm not sure how much a Neptune weighs) I'm a skinny guy and I don't have any weight problems while casting for extended lengths of time.

Oh and one of the first things I noticed was that it had 9 guides plus the tip as compared to my 10' St. Croix which only has 4 plus the tip.

luke

PS: next year I'm gettin' a GSB120 1L in a spinner. wink.gif

BM,

It must be a cooincidence, I just measured someone up for the same rod you are describing. GSB1201L, 6 inches off the butt. It will be set up for spinning using a Nautilus 6500.

Yes, you can go with a 40HH braced stripper and then single foot spinning guides. I would set it up as follows: 40HH, 30, 25, 20, 16 plus an SIC tip with a #16 ring.

The stripper should be approximately 39 inches from the face of the spool. Test cast it and then finetune the placement.

Happy wrapping over the winter.

Al