Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHunter

Can't decide on a new pole...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

First off, I would like to thank you very much for opening this forum. Looks great!

I was thinking of builing a conventional rod. The reason being that I need a stronger rod for jetty fishing. I am lost when it comes to blanks and picking them out. I was wondering if you could help me out and point me in the right direction.

My specs are as follows:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>After blank is finished, it should be anywhere from 9' to 10'

<LI>Capable of handling about 65# whiplash

<LI>Capable to haul good sized fish onto rocks, around rocks, pull small ones onto the rocks, etc. I would like to have a good advantage when on the jetty and in fast current in the inlets.

<LI>Be able to throw jigs, plastic rigged eels, and bigger plugs, from about 1 - 4 or 5 ounces. Dosen't have to be 4 exactly, it could go to 5, but no more than that, I don't see a need to go to 6 ounces.

<LI>Have good casting ability.

<LI>Still be able to be used when I need the big guns for the sand.

<LI>Dosen't have to be name brand, but it has to be a good quality rod.

<LI>Cost no more than $200. The lowest under that mark the better, but 200 is the highest I will go.

<LI>Lightweight

<LI>Not to much of a challenge to build for a novice like me.

Any rods that fit any/all these specs?

Should I go with a one or two piece? What are the advantages of a one piece?

With these specs, should I buy a rod from the store? Or should I go ahead and build one?

Thanks for all your input. Sorry to ask so much, hope I'm not asking too much biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind buying a blem blank, (actually prefer it) cause it would save some cash, if that helps you in any way. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by BassHunter (edited 09-27-2000).]

I am sure other members on the Board can recommend some blanks to fit your requirements. However, I will give it a shot. The following blanks would meet your performance requirements along with falling within your budget:

Lami SB121 3M

Lami SB136 2M trimmed to a #12 tip and cut from the butt to 10 feet.

Both are eglass blanks and are very durable. Use Fuji BHNLG guides, a Fuji reelseat and double wrap the butt with cork tape and you are all set.

Found both rods. The SB1213M is rated for 3-6 oz. and the SB1362M is rated for 3-5 oz. Does trimming the tip like you say, bring it down to the weight I was looking for? If so, how is that done?

Basshunter,

You trim the blank using either a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel or carefully cutting the tip back with a fine triangle file. First wrap the tip section with a piece of masking tape on both sides of where you intend to make the cut. Work slowly around the blank.

The two blanks and the trimming of the blank comes from previous experience in designing a rod with these specifications shared with other rod builders throughout the northeast.

Al G.

Ryan,

Check out the sabre 1088 blank around $70.00 from CCT. He has a kit that I think goes around $115.00 with guides, seat, and I think it is spaced out for you already (you might want to double check that?) anyway this is a rod that I will be building for my self over the winter. Paul Naj has one wrapped exactly how I want mine the only dif. will be I'm gonna put the 525mag on it. This blank will meet all your requirments. I'm sure more guys will probably agree with me.

Hope this helps

Mike Apter

Good advice given above. I'll throw in another blank that fits your requirements, the Loomis SW108-20. I don't have first hand experience fishing it from a jetty, but I'm about to finish wrapping one up and it feels great. If I'm not mistaken, this is Tim's go-to jig/rigged eel jetty stick. You might talk to Mike at Cape Cod Tackle for his recommendations. If the blank is 9' or under, it can be sent via UPS which makes shipping much more affordable. There's been a lot of positive reports here on both the Sabre and All Star blanks. I have the GSW (All Star) 1145/2 and love it.

However, the Sabre blanks are priced low enough that you could probably pick up the blank and components from Mike (under $130 including shipping) and have enough leftover in your $200 budget to pick up an Abu 6500CS Mag Elite from board sponsor Steve Barrett. Well, maybe you'd be over budget by about $50 bucks, but heck, you'd have one fine jetty combo.

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 09-28-2000).]

I will second the all-star 1145/2 I have one and its the most flexible rod I own. I can throw on a jetty with it and walk off an throse on the sand no problem. It handles a bomber to 4 ounces fine. I love this rod.

the Loomis 108-20 is also a great rod. I have one of those its a winner too.

Neither of those rods is gonna come cheap though the blanks are expensive. Sabre makes a good blank I would look into them for an inexpensive yet good choice.....

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Thanks guys for all the great the new blank recommendations to add to my inventory. My wife will really love you. I have taken over two rooms in the basement and it's still not enough space.

I recently finished a Loomis SW108-25 and it is awesome on slinging eels big plugs.

Al G.

Bass Hunter:

If I read your reqirements right, the blak you want is the Sabre 1089. This is THE jetty rod. The blank costs $85. I can throw anything from a 4 1/2" mega bait to a 5 ounce sinker and clam parts with this rod. The 1088 is not as versatile. I can cast a bomber on this rod about as far as I can cast it with my spin rod. The rod has tremendous power. Thats what you want from the stones! you want to be able to lift a six pound fish and not get off the jetty unless you tangle with LARGE.

Prefessa, greetings...and no disrespect intended, but I wouldn't recommend the 1089 as a rod that's good for throwing the little MegaBaits...yes, in capable and learned hands, it can...but it's not well suited for it. The 1088 is much better suited for these little plugs. And I say this only based on the experience of others...and from wiggling both rods. I can throw a 1/4oz jig a mile with my 108-20C but wouldn't say it was perfect for it...and I wouldn't recommend it to someone learning conventional casting. Again, no disrespect intended, just thought maybe you weren't aware Ryan will be just starting out with this conventional stuff...and if I had one recommendation to someone just starting out casting conventional it would be to get a rod that will load deeply with your most commonly used lure weight.

Al, the 108-25...that's a club compared to the 108-20! Are ya usin' it from a boat? If so, you better apologize to each and every bass who's brains ya scramble on the hookset!??! wink.gifwink.gif

TimS