Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hotrodpete

too many guides?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to pick up a Lami xra-1322 for a pretty good price. The rod is near mint, the guy had it made and never used it. The thing is, it has 8 guides including the tip, is there any major problems or disadvantages of this? Ive seen most surf rods have 5 or 6. He'd give it to me for $150 but im not sure about the guides.

Yeah i forgot to mention that, its a spinning set up. Im not familiar with a concept set up ill have to do some research on that. 150 is a good deal though, so i hear, i think im gonna buy it. Thanks for the response.

Its a great deal. Grab it!

Ditto. He's selling you the rod for 100 clams less than retail list for the blank alone eek.gif

Even if you don't like the guide set-up, you can have it re-wrapped and still be ahead of the game, $$$-wise.

I built a 9 foot lami, a GSB1081L with 8 guides and a tip top in Fuji New Concept design, and it's been my go to plugging rod all season. Nice and light at the tip, and very responsive. The last 6 guides are 8mm. If the guides get smaller for the first two or three and then remain constant it's New Concept.

Go for it. At that price you can always rewrap it if you don't like the set up. I just finished one of these a month ago. After test casting a number guide set ups, I went with a concept setup and am very happy with the results. The rod is in my truck, but I'm pretty sure I ended up with 8 or 9 guides + a tip.

I bought it. The guides get much smaller towards the tip, (smaller than usual anyway), but they arent all the same size. Maybe the builder did a concept set up without using concept guides? I dont know. The quality of the build is excellent though so maybe whoever built it knew what they were doing. Bottom line, im gonna slap a reel on it and take it for a spin, if I like it, super, if I dont, i'll fish with it anyway. cwm12.gif Thanks guys for all the info.