Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishaddict

A question for Big Dave

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Dave, when your putting a serious arc in your 11-9 or 123 to reach those breaking fishies in the canal, what line do you like to use on your conventionals? Are you finding one braid that seems to cast longer than the others? Or do you still like the mono for those long distance relationships?

As always, any and all info appreciated

Bob

Hi Bob

I still like to plug with mono. I use 20lb Suffix Tritainium Plus. It's a pretty nice mono. It casts very well and holds up nice. For most of my jig fihing I use the 50lb Power Pro. The nice thing about the PP is that if fish start breaking in the am you can still cast a plug fairly well with it. Making it a bit easier to fish one rod in the morning. But if I am going to be strickly night fishing with skins I still very much favor the Cortland 36 lb Dacron. It may not cast as well as the PP. But It casts well enoough, and fishes great. Its also nice being able to splice it as well. Regards Big Dave

Most of the pluggers I know still use mono. I use 25# Big Game.

I've also used braid at daybreak when all I had with me was my jigging reel, after a night shift. The problem some guys have with braid is they tend to get loose loops, or at least loose line packing, when they work a Polaris or a pencil with braid. Then they get a good fish on and the line digs into itself on the spool.

Plus a lot of the pluggers still like non-level wind reels like the Newells and the Daiwa Sealines. They're harder to work with when using braid. You have to concentrate on laying line both tight AND level wink.gif Mono is more forgiving of peaks and valleys.