Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Since we're talking about Aftco light weight rollers

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

How would the Aftco light weight roller tip top work on a surf plugging rig.

Can the ball bearing handle the repetitive casting and high RPMs and would braid catch between the roller and the frame??

I recently read an artical where the author made claims that the new generations of roller guide tips were as light as traditionals, casted equally as well and had reached a point in developement where they are a viable alternative for standard ring tips in non-boat rod applications (if I can find it I'll post the source).

These are the tips:

AftcoLightweightRollerTips.jpg

The part that most caught my interest was that, because of the roller, friction at the tip top is substantially reduced - especially in situations where you're reeling in a fairly substantial leader connection knot.

If a tip can extend the useful life of an Alberto knot, with no downside, it's worth a try. (I hate tying those things at 3:00 A:M on a cold windy night)

[ 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Sudsy ]

Suds,

Got a rod with them things on it. Built it in 96 and I'm just hearing a little funny noise from one guide and it's not the tip. I have used this as a light offshore casting rig and fish it off the beach too. 20lb braid with 25lb shocker. No problem passing a knot but won't pass a knot in heavier leaders. Just measured the slot @ 3mm so a knot with a dimension of more than 2.5mm would not be reccomended IMO. Nice guides otherwise.

Found them easy to work with. File and taper same as metal guides. They make little clicking noises when a fish makes a good run. Only one major problem---MAD UGLY. Decided to sell the rod I had put them on, two years no luck, took them off and replaced with reg Fuji's, sold in two weeks.