Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

I am off to the Promised Land

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Well, today I am off to Montauk to deliver rods and hopefully put a dent in the fluke and bass population.

I will be meeting The Crazy One in Shinnecock to deliver a "goodie bag" for Sergio since Al is leaving for Mexico this weekend.

I will report on the weekend's results as soon as I get home.

Al

P.S. The car looks like a rolling tackle shop.

Hello Mark,

I am setting up my seasonal shop in Montauk. I will be making a second run in two weeks to complete the task.

Hope you are well.

Best,

Al

Al,

Things on my end are good but very busy. I'd like to have a little more time to fish and travel but I occasionally go through these periods where fishing has to take a back seat. Such is life.

Have you had much experience building (and fishing) rods on Lami IM700 casting blanks? If so, how do you rate them as compared to certified pro and G1000 blanks. They look and feel great; I guess I'm wondering how much TLC they'll require. Are they much more sensitive than the other Lami blanks? Is durability/breakage a problem?

Thanks, Mark

Things on my end are good but very busy. I'd like to have a little more time to fish and travel but I occasionally go through these periods where fishing has to take a back seat. Such is life.

Too much time in March & April on Tony's b-b-b-boat. tongue.gifsmile.gif

Mark,

The IM700 blanks need to be treated as any graphite blank. I have fished two IM700 rods very hard for at least five years and they are going strong.

I just walked in the door from Montauk. Very tough fishing. It was cold and overcast all day. The fluke have set done for the last few days, however the bass fishing was good. It was all diamond jigging on the rips with fish to 25 lbs. I used my light jigging rod and had lots of fun.

Al

Al,

25# rockfish on a light jigging rod -- that does sound like great fun. Plan on coming down to the Chesapeake next March for some light tackle jigging with Tony and myself (providing Tony invites me out with him again next year). We're talking some fine very light tackle jigging -- 6' MH spinning rods (read freshwater rods that Tim Surgent refers to as trout rods, as in freshwater trout), Shimano Stradic 2000 or 4000 loaded with 10 or 14# Fireline. The sound of that zinging drag is music to my ears. It's amazing, however, how much pressure you can put on a fish with that tackle if you're willing to test the limits.

Could you please provide more feedback on the IM700 blanks? For instance, how would you rate them as compared to IMX, GL3, etc. in terms of sensitivity, lightness, and durability? Do you find them to be much more sensitive than Lami's G1000 series or the Certified Pro series of blanks?

Regards, Mark

Mark,

I have built a matched pair of the IM700 Flippin Stick, 7.5 feet rated from 1/2-2 ounces. I use them primarily for conventional plug casting and slinging eels from a boat. They have a medium action and are pretty durable given the way I fish them.

Loomis IMX and GL3 are alot faster in their action.

As far as sensitivity, given that I am fishing braided line it becomes moot. Any touch is transmitted right to your fingers.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 05-21-2001).]