Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

blackfish and braid?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al:

Just a question if I may ask... Are there any adjustments you need to make in your tackle to fish braid? What I mean here is that due to the lack of stretch, do you need a rod tht is a bit more flexable to act as a cushion and to avoid having blackfish feel the tip during a bite? I have fished the Plum Island area and with those tides, braids are a must! I have tried braid before,the bites are sooo.. strong that you have to adjust your timing. The bites feel like there gonna pull the rod outta your hands. I had found myself striking too soon.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Professa,

I do 99% of my tog fishing around Orient and fish braid on a composit rod with a medium tip. I use a Newell 332-3.6 low speed reel spooled with 30# Power Pro and a 25 foot shock leader of 50# mono. The mono acts as a shock absorber and has better abrasion resistance then the braid.

You described your outfit using a cut MB113 and a sidewinder reel. That is the "sharpie" outfit from Sheepshead Bay that the legendary Donald and his crew uses.The supple tip of that blank is needed since you have no drag in the sidewinder.

Yes, the bite on braid feels like someone dropped a brick on you. The trick is to wait for "The Tug", not a bite. The Tug feels like they are trying to pull the rod out of your hand, that when to strike. It takes a little practice.

Hope to see you out there this fall. Please let me know your plans.

Al G.

Al, another question on blank selection. Since this thread is about Blacks, can you give me a little info on the Lamiglas CGBT841M, which Capt. Neil recommended me to build if I ever decided to make a Blackfish rod. What reel and line is a good idea for this blank? Braid or mono?

I really appreciate all the help you've given me over the past few months.

Thank you, Billy

Hi Al:

Donalds partner "Red" and I designed that stick. I wrapped the first one."Red" used to design some great sticks, then he would build the butt section and give the rod to "Jack the Greek" to wrap, then Red would give the rod 15 coats of Polyurethane.Once he saw my epoxy work, he gave up on the poly U. Red was good at trimming blanks, but couldn't space guides too well. Alot of his sticks broke because of this. Thats where I would come in. I fished with/for those two guys for about nine years. They showed me the words BEST tog fishing. The machined Delrin sidewinder was designed by me and the prototype was tested on their boat. Red has about a a dozen of em' The name "Prefessa" was given to me in Sheepshead Bay(Brooklynese pronunciation of "Professor")

When you get stuck, don't you loose the 25 ft of mono??? Donald and the boys use about 5 ft of leader (60# Jinkiai) and when the tide screams the guys on the boat without braid get buried!

Has that Orient Point Tog fishery gotten better??? Last I fished it(1986)7 fish was a slaughter, the fish only bit on the slack tide, But... There was no braid in those days.

Professa,

I have been working with Steve C. and Perry, both friends of Donald and Red, designing and building them some rods. Good people.

The tog fishing out at Orient last year was awesome. Limited out on every trip with fish to 10+ lbs. Best was 14.5 lbs. I do all my fishing out there on the Nancy Ann.

Billy,

The CGBT841M was a design I worked on with Lamiglas. Awesome blank. A Newell 332 or 338 both with a 3.6 ratio is the perfect reel.

Can't wait for the tog season to start.

I'm Ready.

Al G.

Guys,

Not to rub salt in the wounds, but I am off this afternoon to Montauk for a few days to fish for stripers and Southwest Ledge, Block Island for sea bass. The sea bass have been really stacked up there for about a month now. We may even do a little exploring for tog, but it is a little early and the water is probably too warm.

Al G.

Al:

Please send Perry and Steve my warmest regards! They are both true gentlemen! I Know them well. I occasionally bump into Perry at the winter shows, he is a tackle junky! Steve is big into Newell Conversion Kits for PENN reels. He manages to find the last of these on the internet. His favorite reel... The Penn 259, Long Beach Live Bait Caster.

Good Luck at the Point!

Sincerely

Prefessa

Professa,

Steve C. sends his regards. He has been grounded because of foot surgery and is chomping at the bit to get out. I am finishing up a tog stick for him.

Montauk was awesome this weekend.

Al G.