Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHUCK BRYAN

Graphite rods repair of cracks

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al :

My one rod fell from its holder in the basement, found it about 1 hour ago. It has a crack in it about 1/2 inch long on one side of the male ferrule on the butt section.

The over lap is three inches. I don't want to cut it the spacing and performance of the of this rod are excellent. I want to put a patch ,or fill with epoxies to seal the brake since I will have 2 1/2 inches of undamaged graphite.

Is this do able

------------------

CHUCK OF THE LONG CAST

Chuck,

The fix i can recommend may only be temporary if the blank continues to crack under a load. Since the crack is in the male ferrule you can't wrap the ferrule with A thread and apply a coat of finish to reinforce it, it then will not fit the female ferrule.

The second option is to try to glue a reinforcing plug inside the male ferrule, however this may eventually still make result in a further crack.

The third option is to cut away the portion of the male ferrule with the crack and make an internal spigot ferrule to fit the tip portion of the blank. This is probably your best hope of saving the rod, however you will probably need a professional rod builder to do this.

Good Luck,

Al