Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AngeloRoma

Why do I need of cork foregrips and reargrips?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I'm mounting my first blank. I have purchased a GLoomis P844-2 spinning blank (up to 5/8 oz) and a question raises in my mind.

Can I mount just a reel seat of 17 mmm (with an FlexCoat arbor) in the right position and do not mount the cork foregrips and reargrips?

Why do I need of a cork foregrips and reargrips?

Are they just cosmetics in a very light spinning rod or not?

If the problem is balancing the road I could put a weight at the end of the butt.

Thanks a lot

Angelo

But what do you think about a spinning rod without any grips?

I am reading the book of Tom Kirkman and in the first pages he (and Gary Loomis) underlines the importance of reducing weight on rods.

On the opposite I don't see many rods without grips so I have a lot of doubts.

Angelo

Angelo, I think that you would want some kind of grip just to increase the diameter of the blank. I recently built a 9' rod and I only used 1 layer of 1/16" cork tape and I'm not thrilled because the diameter is very small and I can feel the blank flex under the tape. I wish I would have doubled it up.

Just my opinion

Tony

Think about how YOU fish the rod. Do you ever need any kind of grip. I made a little 6'6" rod, 17mm reel seat, and added one cork ring to each end of the reel seat for cosmetic reasons only. I've got two cork rings and a butt cap on the butt for something to jam against my forearm when fighting a fish. It looks stupid....but what do I care? its light and it works for me.

Pretty sure some Japanese outfits are producing rods with unusual, limited grip handles...seen pictures somewhere...I don't recall the site.

All spin rods I build don't have foregrips. I think they just there to hide the end of the reel seat, and I think the rod look "cooler" w/o foregrip smile.gif

The rear grip is there to protect the blank when it's in the rod holder, especially on thin blank that you have.

Grips do several things. They provide a less slippery area to grab than a wet blank would. They can be shaped and build to the diameter that the user desires to make holding the rod easier and more comfortable. The foregrip can come in handy when you get a really big fish since gripping the rod further up allows you better leverage.

I would say my primary need for grips is in the comfort and non slip properties.

you could also use flocking in front of reelseat.for a better grip.I did a demo at our last builder meeting ,I had put it on cork,eva,and a piece of blank,and did the demo with a aluminum bat.works very good..doesnt look bad either,

just built a 9 footer for throwing Shads and plugs in the fall. Wraped the butt area with 3M non-slip tape from the Marine supply 1" wide with a rubber surface. Put it on like cork tape,finished ends with heat shrink tube. Feels great and still light

Or you could wrap it with cord.

tpoliti; just wrap another layer over what you have Going in other direction(Crossing seams not with seams) Short thread wrap to hold ends and a short3/4-1" piece of Quick Grip or other heat Shrink to finish