Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNW

Calstar GX-7

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al,

I received a gift certificate for Mudhole for Christmas and used it to purchase a Calstar GX-7 and components.

I wanted something just a step below in dynamics from my CGBT841M and chose that blank after some research.

I ordered the BHNLG guides: 20,16,12,12,10,10,8,8,8 and a #8 Sic tip. Are these the right amount of guides for this blank? It seems like a lot. I also ordered the BRC22 butt cap and a Fugi size 20 trigger reel seat.

More than likely I will be using cork tape for my grips and will mate the completed rod with either the Abu Garcia 5500 or 6500C3. I'd like the Shimano Calcutta 400 but funds are limited right now.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that I ordered the components prematurely and should have checked to see if they are a good match for the blank. If not I'll have spare parts to work with on my next project. wink.gif

Could you please help me with the guide spacings for this project? Thanks Al!!

Mike W.

[This message has been edited by MNW (edited 12-30-2002).]

Hi Mike,

Your selection of Components is perfect. If you are going to cork tape the grips then I would recommend double wrapping them to get a comfortable diameter.

Here is the general guide spacing:

#20 stripper 20 inches from the center of the reelseat.

1st #8 guide 3.5 inches from the tip.

Then use 1/2 inch incremental spacing moving from tip to butt. 3.5,4.0,4.5 etc.

This is my "go to" Montauk Fluke and sea bass rod. It's a real "sweetie".

Al

Al,

I just got it today. smile.gif It is a beautiful looking blank. I'm Gonna start wrapping when I get the componenent shipment. I'll let you know how it goes as I'll probably have a few questions before it's complete. It's going to be a busy rod-making winter for me. biggrin.gif

Mike W.