Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John E

Where Can I Get....

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

...either a caliper or circle gauge (relatively cheap) to help measure the diameter of blanks at various diameters to determine reel seat sizes, tip tops, etc.? confused.gif

------------------

John E

Best bet is to go to a hardware store and get a cheep-o caliper - shouldn't be more than $15. There are some on-line stores that have them really cheap, like $5, but then S&H. For tip tops, you can order a tip top guage from a rodbuilding shop.

I usually just order a 2 tip top i different sizes just to be safe, the same with reel seats, although I will measure if I have the blank in hand. You could also ask teh person you'r buying from to fit the se components for you.

Not sure what stores you have around you but try an Arts store or a place that sells drafting materials. I know back in the day when I used to work at Pearl Arts n Crafts they had alot of templates and stuff that should work out for you.

I'd get a circle template from an art supply store. In addition to having the ability to measure diameters , it also has the 0 ,90, 180 and 270 degree axis marked for butt wrap layout and alignment. I think calipers would be something you would also want to aid you getting thread spacing correct on the guide wraps , etc.