Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jordanp

Ocean tog rod

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Custom is always expensive.

The Calstar 700L will work, as well as a the Lami CGBT841M. So will a bunch of other rods, Penn's, Ugly Sticks, St. Croix, Seeker, GUSA, Cape Fear - depends what you like and what your wallet can handle.

I have lots of questions about tog blanks.

Graphite, glass, composite? Advantages/disadvantages?

Jersey PB togging, 4-10 oz

+/- $100 blank suggestions?

I'd be pairing it with a Shimano 2000LD and braid.

Thanks. HappyWave.gif

Sparky,

Calstar 700L and 700ML are both under a $100. I think you should find them for about $75. They are great little rods. You can find most boat blanks for under $100

BC

Sparky - you don't have any other reel besides the Charter Special?

Glass - THe long time go to rod, and the one which has probably caught twice as many TOg as any other blank...The Lamiglas 1143F, but fro teh tip to your liking. Advantages is that is has a deep bend with a lot of power, which allows you to lift fish up off the bottom but also having a shock absorber when the fish pounds. It's also a light blank, despite what you may have heard about Glass rods, most are not that heavy at all. THey are quite thick though. Disadvantage - people like myself do not lik ehow the rod bends into teh handle. Nothing wrong with it, just not me.

GRaphite - Most all graphite rods I've felt are too stiff. They have a ton of backbone, but no action imo. THey are also prone to breakage when/if you high stick & when you're hung in the bottom . THey are really light and thin. I have a GUSA that I absolutely love, but I would not recommend it to people because tehre is a chance that if misused it will break - just like Loomis, St. Croix & other graphite sticks. THe 8- Mega Mag is teh blank, it isn't stiff but handles 12oz, and has a nice parabolic bend similar to a glass rod. Best of both worlds imo. Not for everyone though. CApe Fear has come out with Mon O War rods which are nice and light with a lot of power, soft tips. Very similar to Seeker CLB709 in action. I like these more than the EXT & otehr CF's I've felt.

COmposites - THe best of both worlds. These have come a long way in recent years, and there are pretty much 3 companies at teh forefront for Blackfishing sticks. The 2 CAlstar's BC mentioned above are great. IMO, the 800L cut some from the tip is the best rod for everything Tog. Fast action blank which handles 12oz without a problem, can be fished in deep water, shallow water. Anohter Calstar to think about is teh GFX800L vut from teh tip. This one bends like a glass rod, and has a wiggly tip which I do like. LAmiglas CGBT's series. The M & MH are the best for Toggin. THe M is good for up to 12oz, teh MH is good for 24oz, probably more than that. TEHse have more of a bend to them, teh MH is stiff though and I'm not crazy about it - but Gottog caught his 15#'er with one so it's definately a popular blank. The M just came out last year and is more my style of blank, with a little action in the tip with a good amount of power. I haven't plaed with this blank much though. Seeker's also have blanks people like. I hate them though, the 708 & 709 - both are XF, have a floppy tip and shut off half way down teh blank. SOme like htem, I hate 'em and wouldn't use them for anythign except maybe jigging Bass.

What else?

Just bought the charter special from Mike Lang for a bargain price. icon14.gif I know enough about boat fishing to fit in a thimble, so it's the best I got. It worked just fine for me the other day. I kinda like the lever drag, but I kept reaching for the freespool button.

Thanks for the info, you to BC. I was thinking about a composite, but not sure whether there were suitable blanks around. I swear by my rainshadows in the surf. They take a lickin.

I've got 2 rods to wrap this winter already. A tog rod won't be on the bench until next summer, but I'll be saving this info. Thanks.

IF you like Rainshadow's so much, and want to spend a tiny amount on a TOg rod - the Forcast SW70H or 80H is a good choice. Blank costs like $25 retail (if it's still available), and has the same bend as the 1143F. BUT, it is considerably heavier. If Blackfishing is something yo don't do much of, and you don't want to spend much - it's a good value. With grips, Fuji seat & Hardaloy guides, you'd be looking at around $50-60 in total cost of components including shipping.

What other types of boat fishing do you do? Maybe you can make a rod with more than one species in mind?

i'd recomend this certain rod, but Billy thinks i'm freakin nuts biggrin.gif seriously, you want a rod that bends just in the tip, so when they're chewing lightly, you can lift at the first nibble to get the tip bent, being ready to set, and not lifting the sinker, than setting when they come back.

The SW70H is a glass blank, right? I wrapped a fluke rod for my buddy on that blank last spring. A little too mushy for me.

I'm interested in trying to find the middle ground between glass and graphite, hence the Rainshadow reference. I don't mind paying for a decent blank, just not sure what I'm looking for. I'll go and bend a few blanks after the holidays.

Thanks for the help. HappyWave.gif Any other ideas?

No other ideas - everything I posted te first time should be enough. There probably are other blanks which will work, but why experiment? Just find somewhere to pull on them and get the one that's best for you.

The H is heavy for Fluke, probably good in the ocean though. "Mushy" - that's wha tI don't like about Glass Blackfish blanks, and exacty what others look for. To each his own.

Calstar GFX800L icon14.gificon14.gif

Similar to the noodle glass rods, but you won't have to call for the net on a 13" tog cwm27.gif

Mine fishes 8-10ozs without a problem, 12oz would be maxing it. 6ozs should be sweet too.

Deep water fluke, blues, bASS...no problem.

I have a GUSA that I absolutely love, but I would not recommend it to people because tehre is a chance that if misused it will break - just like Loomis, St. Croix & other graphite sticks. The 80 Mega Mag is teh blank, it isn't stiff but handles 12oz, and has a nice parabolic bend similar to a glass rod. Best of both worlds imo. Not for everyone though.

Update. I can now officially recommend this blank. Yesterday on 2 consecutive casts, I caught an 8#, 14#, and a 12# fish. Yes, 2 casts, 3 fish. 22#'s of doubleheader with honestly not too much of a problem - I really, really love that blank.

View PostUpdate. I can now officially recommend this blank. Yesterday on 2 consecutive casts, I caught an 8#, 14#, and a 12# fish. Yes, 2 casts, 3 fish. 22#'s of doubleheader with honestly not too much of a problem - I really, really love that blank.

Update - I still LOVE this blank, I've caught quite a few 10# fish, 4 of which were over 12#'s on this blank.

View Post I swear by my rainshadows in the surf. They take a lickin. I've got 2 rods to wrap this winter already. A tog rod won't be on the bench until next summer, but I'll be saving this info. Thanks.

SWS597 Fuji Alconites & spiral wrapped icon14.gif