Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAssasin

Attn: Ditch

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Ditch, thought you might be interested. Just spoke to a rep from a blank dist. He told me that, Allstar, Pac Bay, Batson and Sabre with the ID# 1088 are all the same blank. Finishes may be different but all are the same. I am not vouching for reliability of this info, this is what I was told. He says that Allstar manufactures the blank. does this sound plausible?

BA, I'm not up on the Sabre / Batson stuff, but I'm sure DJ will have some good info for you. I do have both an All Star and a Pac Bay spec listing handy though, and those two 1088's are not possibly the same.

All Star... butt diameter .825, tip size 8.0

Pac Bay... butt diameter .715, tip size 7.0

All Star most definitely produces their own blanks and finished rods - as well as Breakaway blanks and finished rods - at their facility in Texas. I'm all but certain that the Pac Bay / Sabre / Batson stuff is from elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 05-15-2001).]

BA, I agree with Bill, having hefted the All Star and Sabre 1088s side-by-side, there is no question that they are different blanks. The All Star has a larger tip, and more of a progressive bend. The both bend into the top third of the blank, but the tip on the Sabre is lighter and "flattens" more when you do some ceiling poking.

What might be possible is that All Star may now make the other blanks, but on different mandrels. Sabre/Pac Bay used to be built by Cascade---who makes them now gets fuzzy. There aren't that many USA-based blank manufacturers any more. All Star may be doing some OEM work for the other guys.

The original Sabre blanks had a size 8 tip---I have one on ice awaiting the builder. Other priorities first. Definitely one size up from the "newer" remaining 1088 Sabre I have, and the blank has a slightly different texture.

Another wild guess---since the Batson blanks seem to have more of a similar appearance and feel to the All Star 1088 than the Sabre, they may be "rejects" or "seconds" that All Star discounts to Batson---because it's hard to see why All Star would make "first quality" blanks for them that get retailed at $30 less than the ones bearing the All-Star trade name.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll get this straight eventually. I am surprised the guy that gave me that info was misinformed, maybe I misunderstood him as this issue is clearly unclearbiggrin.gif Thanks again