Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GMILLER

Another Shimano look-a-like?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I was just in Fairfield Tackle with Hardy. The proprietor got really offended when I mentioned the TiCA reels. Must have issues, he complained that no one would service them, which is another topic,

He showed me a reel made by Banax; said it was manufactured by the same folks as the Calcutta 700 and 400. Looked like a Calcutta, but felt a bit lighter. Anyone ever hear of 'em? The price of the 700 look-a-like was about $10 more than the Pieces and Gemini.

-Geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com

I know who you're referring to (john?), anyway, Adrian is always the straight talker and quite accomodating/ (a little shorter with white hair).

The most grandiose counter guy(opposite extreme from Adrian) is the guy from Ramsey Outdoors(Rt. 17/Paramus). He's Asian decent- the most pompous guy I've ever encountered! I don't even ask for any help anymore.

Anyway, we have TimS.

Banax---sounds like some sort of prescription medication.

The "same folks" who make the Calcutta sold in this country is Shimano---don't let anyone tell you differently, and they're not about to cut their own throats by cutting into their market share. The profit margains dealers make on the Calcutta is ridiculously small, and Shimano gets the lions' share of the purchase price as is. I don't blame shops for seeking out cheaper OEM brands to sell.

Shimano does have other manufacturers make their top-of-the-line reels sold in the Asian market, and Banax is likely one of these. They have other companies make their cheaper reels for the US and Europe, but not their top shelf products sold here.

The Fisherman had a product review last night, and if the info is accurate---and that's not a sure thing--the Taurus is not Tica's top spinning reel. But, it's probably a darn good reel for the money, we'll know after a bunch of us put them thru the mill this year. I don't have the article with me, but I think they mentioned something called the Aries as the top end item in spin reels. Two other models whose names I can't even begin to picture were also mentioned as their top-flight stuff.

There are very minor cosmetic differences between the Calcutta 400 and the gemini I saw at Tim's. Level wind guide is gold finished, whereas the Calcutta has an SiC guide. The Gemini's star drag is calibrated in very fine stopd, whereas the Calcutta's is infinitely adjustable. The spool on the Gemini is lighter and seems to be made from something other than machined aluminum. Other than that, the reels are identical down the line, even as far as I could see into the gears. The biggest issue on the old Calcutta used to be the drag washers. Whether or not the Gemini has felt washers, or the better dartaniums of the new Calcutta, I couldn't tell you.

Bottom line---these OEM copies may very well be good reels, if the internals are the same. My Calcutta has performed flawlessly for 3 years in my hands--after the drag issues were corrected by Shimano--and I think even more impressively, in eelman's hands for 4 years. He still swears by the reel.

I don't know what Tim plans to charge for the Gemini, Geoff. I don't know the quality of the bearings, but it has the same one piece aluminum frame, and what looks like the same gearing. Similar centrifugal brakes, same quick release thumbbar, same handle. It's worth what he'll probably ask for it. Cerainly a better reel than the Corsairs, or the Quantum Iron reels that might be just a bit cheaper. It's entirely possible many of the Shimano parts might be interchangeable. I took the liberty of taking the Taurus partially apart because I paid for it, but I wouldn't feel right doing the same to the Gemini, and didn't.

As far as the spool goes, it's a lighter spool. I fished the plastic Penn spools for a long time, with both mono and Dacron, and never popped one. If you want to run braid on there, I don't think the spool will be a problem. Mono is what kills reel spools that aren't that strong--guys wind the line on under tension, when the stetch in the line starts to relax, the pressure is all inwards on the arbor, and it cracks or implodes on itself. No reel I know of is designed to function solely as a winch. The reel feels as smooth as a Calcutta in operation. The main gear is brass, the pinion appears to be steel, from what I could see thru the holes in the inside of the plate. At 10 yards, it looks just like a Calcutta.

Typical shop talk "Don't buy this Shimano immitation that everyone's heard about, who will service it? Instead, buy this Shimano substitute that no one's heard about, who will service it?"

They oughta install some kinda quick test so that the person behind the counter has an idea as to the relative intelligence of the potential customer. Nothing foils a sale quicker than lying or insulting the customers intelligence smile.gif

Ditch/GMiller, the spool on the Pisces is aluminum...Ditch, the reel you saw here was the Pisces (Calcutta style 400 w/ more line capacity) and it does have an aluminum spool. The reason the spool is so much lighter is they cut it deeper, it holds waaaay more line than the Calcutta 400. The other Calcutta like reel is the Gemini, it holds far more line than the Calcutta 700. Again, aluminum spool, beautiful design, excellent job.

GMiller, I have a one Pisces here now and more coming tomorrow. I'll also have some Taurus 5000 reels, Camry 3000, 3500, 4000, and 4500 reels here. I have the Gemini's on order and the Taurus 6000's as well. From what I understand, my distributor may have wiped out the Tica warehouse on 6000 reels...until more can be built and imported, this might be it for a while.

Now the sharpies among you are questioning ole TimS on buying Taurus 5000 reels! wink.gif Lemme explain. With the Sustain 5000 vs 6000, there's barely any line capacity on the 6000, what point would buying a 5000 serve?!?! It's identical, only holds less line! Now with the Taurus 5000 vs 6000, the 6000 holds an amazing 340yds of 17# mono...that equates to over 425yds of 50# Whiplash...that's more than a spool of Whiplash! I'd recommend the 6000 to folks that will mainly be using mono, and even so, 340yds of 17# test is an aweful lot of mono.

Now the 5000 Taurus, it holds an equally amazing 330 yds of 14# mono! That's still more than a single spool of 50# Whiplash!?! The 5000 holds 275 yds of 17# mono...that's more than enough mono! So, seeing that the reels are internally/externally identical except for the line capacity, and noting that the 6000 is not going to be around for a while after this batch, I thought it wise to order some 5000 reels. It just doesn't make sense on the Sustain/Stradic 5000/6000 as the 6000 won't even hold a full spool of 50# Whiplash...it holds 170# of 16# (the Taurus 6000 holds 340 of 17#...or more than double!) So if the 6000 won't even hold a full spool of 50# braid, the 5000 is not an option. The Sustain/Stradic 5000 holds only 195yds of 12# mono...165yds of 14# mono. It will barely hold 300yds of 30# Whiplash much less the 50# Whiplash that would suit a reel of this size/weight. Bottom line, I'd prefer a 6000 Taurus, but if they aren't available, the 5000 Taurus will hold far more line than you'll need for the same tasks!

One more thing, lots of guys are saying the 6000 Taurus is heavier than the 600 Sustain...yea, it is, a little less than 3oz...but it holds 100% more line! Try not to mentally equate the Taurus 6000 with the Sustain 6000, they are far from apples to apples, instead, compare the weight of reels of similar capacity, that's the real key to reel shopping for me, the reel must be able to hold X amount of line. In that light, the Stella 10000 is closest, but still holds substantially less line that even the Taurus 6000! The Stella 10000 holds 330yds of 16# and the Taurus 6000 holds 340yds of 17#. The Stella weighs in at 27oz and the Taurus at 22oz. So, in effect, you are getting more line capacity at roughly 25% in weight savings.

Hey, my biggest complaint in my almost 4 years of faithful service with the Sustain 4000 was it's pitiful line capacity. I could squeeze 300yds of 30# Whiplash on it...probably closer to 270yds. Now the Camry 3500 holds 245yds of 10# mono...the Sustain 4000 holds 200yds of 10#...at exactly the same weight you get 20% more line capacity. A step up to the Camry 4000 (4oz heavier at 16oz) and you get 300yds of 10# mono...whereas the next Sustain, the Sustain 5000 (3oz more yet at 19oz) only holds 240 yds of 10#. The 6000 (again, 3oz heavier than the Camry 4000) holds about 300yds of 10#. And last, the Camry comes in an even bigger size, the 4500 (which weighs 16oz, a full 3oz lighter than the Sustain 5000 or 6000) yet holds an amazing nearly 400 yds of 10# mono! It holds 320yds of even 14# mono!

There some details for ya. Tomorrow I'll have the Camry 3500, 4000, and 4500 reels in stock, they'll sell for $79.00. I'll also have more Pisces, they'll sell for $99.00. And I'll have a couple Taurus 5000's selling for $219. The 6000's will be in early next week...but they won't last long, I've been getting emails and PM's from people all week. They'll also sell for $220...I could sell them for the $253 the Surfcaster sells them for, especially cause the demand is much higher than the supply...but I'm not like that smile.gif

There, everything you ever wanted to know about these things. Believe me, if you ever met the Taurus reel, you wouldn't put it down, you'd just open your wallet, they are amazing.

Ditch, the Fishermen was mistaken, the Camry is at least 3 down on the list of Tica's top of the line reels, the Libra and Taurus are the top two. Except the Libra only comes in two fresh water sizes frown.gif So, it's Taurus or Camry for us salt junkies. I might have to get some of the Libras...you know, just for the sweetwater guys who haven't yet switched over to all fly fishing wink.gif

TimS

Ditch...thanks for the additional info. I will remeber that when I am in heated battle with my Gemini cwm35.gif . I will be adding that to the collection soon.

Tim....once again, you know how to reassure this young salt. I will be keeping all of that on mind. As far as the Taurus stocks are concerned, I will keep using my Stradic until the 6000's are in. I know it maybe a wait, but I can afford to.

Thanks again! icon14.gif

-geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com

Tim--just FYI--the spare spool on my Taurus is labeled "TP 7000". Has even higher listed capacity than the 6000. It's the same size spool as the 6000 that was on the reel, and it's obviously mis-labeled. Any idea on whether they have a 7000 size in the works, maybe something equal in capacity to the Stella 16000 but a third of the price, and a lot lighter?

The 6000 will not hold a full 300 yard spool of 30# Fireline. It's overfilled as it is, and I had about 25 yards left to use as backing in the future. No way in the world does 30# Fireline have equivalent diameter to 12# mono. I'd say it's more like 20# mono, based on that.

I filled the other spool with 65# Whiplash--from a bulk spool, so I don't know how much it really takes, but it took forever to fill. I'd say between 350 and 400 yards. Allegedly, that's the same diameter as 30# Fireline, and to that I say, Bull. Whiplash is more like 12# or 14# mono, Fireline is more like 20#. A 300 yard spool of 30# FL very nicely fills a Penn 706 with just a tad of backing, and Penn lists that reel as having a capacity of 300 yards of 20# mono.