Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

translucent wraps

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I just put the first coat of aftcote finish on my guide wraps. I used silver underwraps and maroon over, I did not use CP. I think this combo looks very nice except over the guide feet. The maroon overwrap became somewhat translucent (which I expected) and I can see through to the guide feet. That would not be so bad except I can clearly see the difference where I filed down my guide feet and where I didn't because the guides are painted black and where I filed down is silver. It is too late to fix this now but is there anything I can do to avoid this next time? Oh yeah, there will be a next time, the building process has tured out to be addictive.

I did this a few years back with a rod. From what I rembemer, I painted the guide feet with some model paint of a similiar color and then clear coated the painted area. It came out ok. There is probably a better way to do it. Hopefully someone with a little more experience can chime in.

If ya grind the feet neatly and uniformly, I think it looks good and shows attention to the dtails of prepping the feet.

Then again, I lay out my wraps with vernier caliper!

Black ink like a Sharpie will hide it if you want.

The Black Sharpie will not work, that will make a big long black stripe in the wrap, exactly what he's looking to AVOID. At least that's my interpretation of what he's asking?

If it bothers you so much, what you need to do is grind off more of the guide foot so th earea where ytou will wrap over is totally Silver. Basically remove all teh finish on teh guide foot. Then put a coat of CP, or Water based Polyurethane on teh guide feet that now has exposed metal. Don't put too much & leave exess, all you need is a thin coat. Then wrap over it like normal.

If the guide feet crack, and you do not coat the guide foot with CP, they will discolor & turn brown. I haven't had guide feet cracking issues, so I cannot say how well teh CP prevents this from happeneing, but others say it works.

For the record - nobosy looks close enough at teh rod to notice the spot where you ground teh guide & the feet are different colors. So it's not too much to concern yourself with, unless you are that anal.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I kind of like being able to see the guide feet, I think next time I will grind them down to be all silver or color them black, not sure yet but it sounds like I could do either.

Billy, those are incredible wraps. They make mine look a bit pathetic, but hey this is just my first try.

The Black Sharpie will not work, that will make a big long black stripe in the wrap, exactly what he's looking to AVOID.

It sounded to me like the poster was bothered by seeing the difference between the ground and the unground (black) balance of the guide foot; not that he was necessarliy looking to avoid the black. If that's indeed the case, touching up the ground portion with some black should be just fine. Personally I don't mind seeing a neatly done grind but if I did, touching up the foot is a whole lot more appealing to me from a practical standpoint than peeing around removing all of the finish from the wrapped on portion of all of the guide feet. It's just a fishing rod after all. smile.gif