Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Global Rod Project - Raffle

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Some of you may have heard or seen through various postings/pictures, that last year Rapt Tite (Mike Joyce) asked some of his favorite builders if they'd like to join in this project of adding a bit to a fishing rod and then sending it on to the next builder. 95% of the builders I asked said that they'd like to be included. The builders involved are Mark Crouse, Andy Dear, Jim Upton, Ray Jorgensen, Mike McGivney, Randy "Putter" Parpart, John Dow, Mike Joyce, Dennis Pappike, David Boyle, Billy Vivona, and "Doc Ski". Hiro Tanaka was also included, but due to time constraints and shipping, had to decline. Batson Enterprises assisted with Blanks and components for this undertaking...its almost over.

What to do with the rods??? Its been decided that they'd be raffled off in Charlotte this year with 100% of the proceeds going towards books in libraries, with a portion of proceeds going towards helping some of the rod builders that work directly with children and young adults....here's an opportunity to help out directly to a "rodbuilding cause", and have a chance at one of two truly unique rods. Tickets will be available at several booths and the rods will make they're way over to the Batson Enterprises booth. Hopefully this projects raffle is a success and will continue in the future. All those involved with building the rod, have donated their time & expertise, and picked up the shipping from builder to builder on their own, so ALL 100% of the proceeds will go towards the Charity/Cause.

Raffle tickets for the Global rod can be purchased in advance. The way it will work is you send me a check, and I will let you know what raffle ticket numbers you have. If you buy 10 tickets, I'll tell you that you are number 10001 thru 10010. I will keep everyone's info on a spreadsheet, and when we draw the ticket in Charlotte I will check to see if one of the pre-purchased tickets won the raffle.

The final day for pre-ordering Global Rod tickets is February 15th. Please contact me at vivonab@colsonservices.com for more information regarding ticket price and address to send the check or money order.

(PS - I cleared this post with TimS prior to posting)

The SW rod was built on a SW967F, the other rod is on a Steelhead blank, as soon as I find out the blank model, I will post it.

John, READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!

Please contact me at vivonab@colsonservices.com for more information regarding ticket price and address to send the check or money order.

You know, if the rods will be in Charlotte for the show, it may be easiest just to leave them with me (since i live here) HappyWave.gif

I'll make sure they get to the appropriate winner (or not!) cwm8.gif

Very cool idea... Did this rod ever leave the US? Not sure where all of the builders are from.. Billy what part\\s did you do? Very nice work.. See you soon

Erik - the original plan included a shipment to Australia and to Japan. Shipping cost was a hinderance, the due date was closing in....and teh Steelhead Rod I just posted pictures of, was BROKEN while being shipped from West Virginia to CAlifornia in September. At that point the handle & wrap were completed. They somehow salvaged the $150 wood handle, and started over, and are almost done.

the Saltwater rod - I did the wrap in front of the Walnut foregrip with the Brown shades & Red & Black center Star. Mike McG did the wrap between the split wood, Andy Dear did the Wood grips & reel seat, Doc Ski added the Snook weave, Putter Mabled, and Rapt Tite is doing the guide & final epoxying.

I know what a lot of people are thinking about teh wood and slipping, and SW rotting it. The wood is Walnut Burl and stabilized, which means it will not shink, expand or crack, or have any ill effects from SW. I had teh rod for a month, and cannot begin to tell you how gorgeous teh wood handles look in person. I'm not into wood like that, but it was really, really nice.

those grips are beautiful, im not usually a fan of that marbalized finish but damn that guy does an amazing job that looks awesome, the muskie global wrap is also really really good.. those are too nice to fish with.. very impressive work from everyone.. heart.gif

I had teh rod for a month, and cannot begin to tell you how gorgeous teh wood handles look in person. I'm not into wood like that, but it was really, really nice.

I wasn't into wood handles either, until I had that rod on my bench. I'm going to have to build myself something with handles like that smile.gif