Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

How blemished is a blem?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Are they ever unusable?

Do you have to cut off more than 2 or 3 inches?

Do they look like corkscrews?

Are they bent a lot?

Do Lami blems always have the manufacturer's logo?

I read that makers use #1 blanks in rods and sell them as first quality. #2 blanks are blems. Are there #3 and #4 blanks?

Also heard that Lami builds on hand-picked #2's and sells the finished product as blems. I knew of one site selling blem factory Arras for $199. They sold out.

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 03-22-2002).]

All the blems that I have ever gotten from a reputable manufacturer ie Lami, etc have been great. Actually most of my rods are Lami blems and I can reccomend them highly. No, they don't always have the name on them.

------------------

J.Hansen

[This message has been edited by Fencer04 (edited 03-22-2002).]

Triet,

Blems come in all shapes and sizes. The reason they made it in the blem barrell can be from small cosmetic stuff to major structural flaws. It's great when you can pick thru a bunch, but buying them "sight unseen" is tricky (although I've done well with them many times). The bad news is, you won't have to make this decision much longer since Lami will no longer be selling blems (so I hear). They'll grind em up like most manufacturers do these days.

Lami blems never have a label. They usually have some colored bands and a lump on the butt that needs to be cut off (1" or so).

I'm not positive on the grading system, Al will know. I always understood it as, "blank" quality was the best. "Rod" quality blanks were the next best , used for factory built rods. And blems were the unacceptable for full price.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 03-23-2002).]

Am in total agreement with the comments about Lamiglas blems.Also do not believe that Lamiglas is going to grind -up blems.Trick is that Mud Hole violated their agreement with Lamiglas about advertising so Lamiglas terminated the deal and now Merrick is the exclusive handler of Lamiglas blems.

Only once have I found anything other than either a color or finish flaw and that was a cracked tip(3").AT a price reduction of 50%and more it's a great buy,especially if you can order a number of blanks all at once.I just got 6 Lami blems for less than the price of one 1st quality Ron Arra and that includes S&H.Go for it!!!!!!!!!!

Neil,

Good to hear that Lami blems will still be around. I'm kinda addicted to them. I probably built myself 10 in the last year. Did you buy yours from Merrick? Did they start selling them yet?

A couple of years ago Lami had a link on their site that took you to Anglers Workshop, where the blems were sold, since then I have no idea where they sell the blems. Anyone know where and how to get Lami blems?

The blanks I got were from Mud Hole as they still have a limited # in stock but when that supply is gone their offering will be whatever,if any,they purchase from Merrick.

Summer Moon is advertising "nationally known blems" or some such wording and though they won't say my guess is that they're Lami's from Merrick.I really don't know of anyone else who's carrying them but haven't really checked around all that much.If one goes to www.rodbuilding.org or www.rodguild.com you can find Summer Moon and also ask about the availability of Lami blems as well.

Also just in case anyone's interested Batson/Rainshadow/Forecast blanks are an outstanding buy for the buck.

Additionally for any fans of the defunct J Kennedy Fisher company.The Company's equipment has been purchased by Hal Bacon and JKF Blanks(full line)will be offered again in the near future.Personally this is GREAT I loved their blanks and was really upset at their demise.May your blanks always be straight,your guide location perfect and your finish bubble free.

That is excellent news on the JKF stuff. Just curious. Do the mandrels last a long time and thus is it possible to duplicate the same old JFK blanks for the next xx years of production, or it it just like purchasing any old blank building equipment and starting over?

Additionally for any fans of the defunct J Kennedy Fisher company.The Company's equipment has been purchased by Hal Bacon and JKF Blanks(full line)will be offered again in the near future.Personally this is GREAT I loved their blanks and was really upset at their demise.May your blanks always be straight,your guide location perfect and your finish bubble free.

lg_smile.gif

Triet, I really do not know about the mandrel thing;my guess is that it is basically an interior mold and therefore should only require cleaning,but that's aguess only.Bet Al could answer that question.