Spotburnhater

perferred Black fish hooks?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Owner Octopus Cutting points and recently I have been using Owner Ahi hooks with great sucess.I also you a phenominal hook that I learned about off another website but can't remember the name.It's a thicker,much stronger octopus with straight eye.Wish I could remember the name!

I will never use Gammi's again for blackfish! I had 2 crack in half on monster tog on 2 seperate occasions from 2 completely different batches! To each his own. I wish Owner would make a Virginia hook to try out.I would love to try that.

I am also a Gami octopus fan.

I find the Owner to be decent hooks, but heat treated a bit softer than the gami, loose their needle point quicker.

One thing to watch with the Gamis', check them after using the pliers on them when unhooking a fish. More damage with the leverage of the pliers at the wrong angle, replace if in any doubt.

Trust me,try the Owner Cutting Point Octopus hooks ant the Ahi's.I'd like to see a tog bend or break one of those! :th:Haven't had any of those hooks fail me yet on tog up to 15b.

Forget about the virginia style, they're crap. Any of the octis are fine, user preference. I've done well with gami and owner but use gami because I can buy them by the 100 box.

For jigs, cant help there but I'd go for a sharp chemically sharpened type hook.

What if using jigs? Virginia style (what size?) or 34184 4/0?

Not sure what hook the guys marketing tautog jigs commercially use, look like a good forged hook.

I would stay away from your traditional plated bucktail jig hook that you specified, the 34184. I am not saying they will not work, but out of the box they will need resharpening, and in my opinion the barb is too large, I think this will affect penetration. I have been experimenting without too much preparation I might add, I used gamakatsu baitholder hooks that had lying around for the jigs on the right, one on the left is a commercial job with a short shank hook and a sinker eye for the line tie. Second photo is baitholders and some long shank forged Eagle Claws that I might experiment with. I have some Gami 604 jig hooks on order now, which if strong enough will be perfect for the job.10001000

Not to hijack this thread, but this is an interesting side project for me right now, something else to help me get through the winter. I am combining this style of presentation by experimenting with colored/flavored pastes to add to the jig instead of the normal piece of crabmeat. Inshore season is over up here right now, so I'll have to wait till next year to continue tests in the water.

Big Guns work great! There's a certain model I use for fluke,I think C 17 4/0 but you can't find them anywhere.Best dam fluke hook bar none! I know a lot of guys use them to tie flys. If your looking for a good jig hook or info or to purchase check out the C/B/S/T and check out PorgyPaul,a member here who sells them at a great price and boy do they work'