Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

heaver blank???

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Need some help.. I'm selling my 2/1 breakaway because it wears me out.. i can sling 8 and bait a long ways with it but need a nap after about 5 casts... my back doesn't like it much either..

looking for a blank that will get good distance at 6-8 and bait.. never more than 8 and bait but it needs to handle 8 well.. looking for around 12' and weight and distance are the key factors..

thinking 1448 loomis or perhaps the 1442 or 1502 lami... thoughts please.

my go to right now is a 1209 breakaway which is awesome but want a longer stick for when more distance is needed...

thanks in advance.

Hello TB (Mezich)here. How ya been? JW try the Rainshadow Su 1502F,12ft 6", 2 piece,30-50lb line,4-10oz of weight,12/64tip,1.000 in butt.Good Luck JW. Neil

I have casted the 12 foot loomis and the 12 foot TICA side-by-side and found almost no difference between the two. The TICA is a lot less expensive.

Another option might be the Breakaway one piece-two piece light (1508). I casted the 13 foot model made up by Hatteras Jacks and it feels much lighter and less top heavy than 12.5 foot 1509. HJ also makes an 11'9" version of the 1508 that will take a trigger seat.

You might also consider the Lamiglas 1502.

Best of luck,

Tom

Rumor has it Lami 1502 and Outcast 16sumthin' or other are the easiest casting 8nBaiters. I don't care for the way the Tica 12' feels with just 8 on it, let alone a chunk or head with it. Or maybe the 2/1 lite at 12'3" would work. Ahh scratch that and call Ryan.

i'll take my 2/1 lite over my 1502 any day of the week ; just can't & won't lay into it but;it will throw 8& bait in a pinch .when i need 8 or 10 it's the 1502 or my 2/1 heavy.still want to throw the purglass 400-4;(birthday coming up eek.gif ;biggie ; need a new rod ???? rolleyes.gif

i'll take my 2/1 lite over my 1502 any day of the week ; just can't & won't lay into it but;it will throw 8& bait in a pinch .when i need 8 or 10 it's the 1502 or my 2/1 heavy.still want to throw the purglass 400-4;(birthday coming up eek.gif ;biggie ; need a new rod ???? rolleyes.gif

TB

Try a 1508 Cut the butt section down until the overall length of the rod is 12'. this puts the reel seat an inch from the bottom of the tip where it slides over the butt section. The fore grip will be on the base of the tip section. Makes a very nice rod to fish with and throw up to 8 with bait. Big Dave

I am considering getting a 1508 with two butts, one that puts the rod around 11'9" with a trigger seat and another that puts the rod around 13'.

Tom

TB, Try our Patriot 1418-2 made by All Star. They're a little more forgiving and less expensive than the Breakaways. This blank is being raved about in my neck of the woods in Jersey and Cape Cod. They're 44 million modulus blanks 11'9" 2pc rated 2 - 6 with a Mod/fast rating. They're light and powerfull and come with a conditional lifetime warranty. Check out our site for dealers in your area. Put a set of TiN/Zirconia guides and you'll have an awesome set up.

Warmest regards Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Big Dave; Thanks for the heads up about the extra rod butt. I will let you know when I succumb. One factor I am weighing is whether the 1508 would work as a tournament rod for a person just starting out in distance casting.

Tom

Duck I know of 1 person in the DE. area that uses one in a tournament set up as spinning. He has hit some pretty impressive distances with favorable conditions. I've never measured any casts I've made with the 1508. But I've measured a few with the 1509 and they were in the 725 to 730 range. On any given day depending on conditions those can be very competetive casts. Regards Big Dave

TB...I own or have tried virtually every stick mentioned on this thread...I fish 8nBait a lot and I know exactly what you mean about the All Star/Breakaway 1509...the rod is a bear to load and is tip heavy...not to mentioned its fish fighting characteristics are mediocre at best-oh it will land the big Drum, sharks and rays...but for me, too stiff under load...

Anyway back to your question...well it comes down to 2 sticks...the All Star 1508 or the Lamiglas 1502. Both easy casters comparatively speaking for 8nBait, but truth is the Lamglas handles the load better...the 1508 seems a little stressed if you really lean into it w/ 8nBait...if you are not a big hitter you may not notice any difference between the 2 rods...