Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lunker hunter

using a broken rod for a boat rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

heres my situation, i have a broken tsunami 7'6" spinning rod that about a foot broke off of. i have never wrapped my own rod but was thinking about wrapping conventional guides on it and using it for bottom fishing.

would a 5 - 6 foot fiberglass reinforced graphite blank witha medium flex make for a functional bottom fishing rod?

ultimately I see this as a learning opportunity for wrapping a rod but would like it to be a functional rod in ht end.

i would like a trigger style real seat and have no clue what type guides or size or how many and how far apart to space them..

maybe im asking too many questions here but if anyone has some input for a direction to start i would greatly appreciate it

If all you were doing is gluing on a new tip , fine. But to remove the guides and reel seat to salvage a broken blank on a rod that cost $100 in the first place is not how I'd go. Not worth the effort. If you will be putting the work into stripping and rebuilding a broken blank , why not just part with $50 and start with a new low priced graphite blank. The tsunami was not built on a $200 blank to start with so if its broken , there isn't much value to be salvaged.

i thing its the wrong approach to figure you'll learn on a broken blank. If you are careful and take your time , even your first rod will come out pretty nice so why not buy good parts so you'll be happy with it after all the work?

salt i see your point but my situation is that im a broke bastard, i just purchased a ron arra to replace the tsunami when it broke so ive kind of pushed my fishing spending limit for equiptment. my main goal is to lear with this on and over the winter wrap a higher quaility blank..

paul i have stripped the blank clean..

i have been doing alot of searchs and found some good info on guide spacing and a few things on wrapping the guides and finishing so i think i can cover that part..

can anyone suggest a shop in north jersey with rod building supplies? i need thread, epoxy, grps, and guides

post-3169-1127922857.jpg

post-3169-1127922882.jpg

post-3169-1127922903.jpg

post-3169-1127922934.jpg

post-3169-1127922965.jpg

post-3169-1127922993.jpg

post-3169-1127923011_thumb.jpg

i wraped it with fuji guides and gubebrod size d thread, flexcoat on the underwrap and need to eflex coat the over wrap tonight.. nothing fancy and not even too sure it will work too great for fiahing but its good experiance.. its 5'6" OAL.. im thinking it might not have enough flex int eh tip and might pull the hook, it might be good for togin since it would be stiff for a quick hook set but its not too long.. maybe good for fighting big blues?