Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kfsaer

Surf Rods

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al, I am just getting back into surf fishing and want to but a rod to use in the south shore of long island. Ilaready own a 9 foot fiberglass custom rod (made about 25 years ago) and a Shimano Baitcaster 6500 (never used). Do you think this set uo is adequate. I have heard that I should have at least a 10 foot rod to fish the beaches. Any suggestions? Thanks.

kfsaer,

First of all Welcome to the board.HappyWave.gif If you're new to surf fishing, and I'm guessing you are. There is no better place on the 'net than right here to learn. smile.gif

The question you asked is kind of broad. Some specifics would help narrow your search.

You already said you'll be fishing the South shore of LI so that helps narrow it a bit.

Are you looking for a production rod or a custom made rod?

What are you looking to spend?

Will you be fishing bait or lures?

Do you want a 1 or 2 piece (consider the car you'll be using to go fishing)?

What is your height and weight? (not to get personal but it is a consideration)

You can get a good production surf rod like the Daiwa Sealine-X for @ $50-$60 or a custom Lamiglas for upwards of $200.

It's up to you there are dozens to choose from.

Hope this helps and good luck. BTW this forum is about rod building. You may get more responses if you post this in the Main forum.

Mike W.

10-11 foot rods are the custom for LI's South Shore beaches, but a 9' will work if that's all you have. What's more important than the length is the action and power of the rod. I'm asuming that if it's a glass custom-made rod, it was built on a Lamiglas blank. Lamiglas' stock 9' blanks were a little on the light side for all-around surf use, but many 9' customs were made by trimming longer, more powerful blanks back to 9'.

To be useful, the rod should be able of casting 1-4 oz. It should load easily enough at the low end to avoid loops of loose line on the reel, but still have sufficient backbone to cast 3-4 and to control a decent fish in moderate to heavy surf. That would be a tall order for many graphite rods, but glass was by nature more flexible and was better suited to all-around use with a wide disparity in casting weights. It should have a medium, or "parabolic" bend under a load--in other words, the rod should bend for approximately half its length. This cushions the line when you try to apply pressure to a fish, allows you to involve the guts of the rod (not just the tip) in working the lure, setting the hook and moving the fish after hook-up. If your rod fits this bill, it's fine for the job. As you get more involved, you'll probably recognize some of the limits of a 9-footer in high surf and be better prepared to choose a good 10' rod--what you'd want is just a longer version of what you have, in a medium actioned low modulus graphite blank.

As far as the reel goes, a BTR 6500 would not be my first choice for a 9' rod, but since it's glass, it's a better fit on that than it would be on a light 9' graphite. A lot depends on how heavy/powerful the rod is and whether the reel balances on it comfortably.

I believe my old rod is on a Fenwick blank. I was advised to go with a 2 piece 10 foot Seeker with a Penn 704Z. Rich Johnson of The Fishing Line says that a 9 footer will not be useful in the surf of LI.

Al has a good write up on blank materials in his first article on custom rod building, but I get the impression that most of the rods built by folks in this forum are graphite. Am I right.