Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedneckfromRI

Aluminum Extrusion?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am currently building a new power wrapping unit and want to use an aluminum extrusion as the bed.

Does anyone know of where to purchase this piece in either two 4' sections or an 8' section?

The piece I am looking for is like the one on the Custom power wrapper in Cabelas Tackle craft catalog. I am sure that this piece is less expensive if the source is found and the piece is not gold anodized like in the catalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Russ

Jann's Netcraft seems to have the best price on the Pac Bay four foot sections, but at forty-two bucks per each, it still seems outrageous for that. Renzetti lathe four foot sections are only fifty bucks per each and have enough material in them to have made about six of those Pac Bay bases. Not near as "adaptable" though, but with any of them, it's a very specialized extrusion and I'm sure they'll need to get whatever the market will bear to cover the tooling, die, and not very cost-effective short run production costs. I also very seriously doubt the extruder, were he ever found, would do you any price favors on those, if he'd even consider selling direct at all. It would be cutting his own throat to short-circuit the commercial lathe builders who purchase from him and they're the only serious outlet he has for the extrusion. It's not exactly like that one has other applications and uses.

The Pac Bay unit is anodized by the way, not a mill finish. It's just clear anodized as opposed to the gold anodized finish of the Custom Power Wrapper unit, and the gold tone's a very minor cost factor in the equation.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 01-23-2003).]

bud8fan,

Try a local glass/store front company.

They often have extrusions removed from store renovations...usually destined for the recycling yard.

Cheap.

You can also check out recycling yards.

Buy it by the pound at either place.

Good luck

That's always a good source for other extrusion possibilties, Andy. Storefront tube components are extruded and shipped in twenty-four foot lengths. Long as you can fabricate your own track and fixture details, the tubing is at least a good starting point.

Angler's Workshop is the maker of the Custom Power Wrapper and likely owns the dies for the aluminum bed extrusions, as Renzetti owns the dies for the extrusion of its bed. The beds are probably available from either, but nowhere else.

Lynn

After all the research the tips I have gotten revealed one thing. The bed/track is available to purchase separately but even contacting the source the price remains the same as Cabela's! So if I were to purchase the two pieces of 4' extrusions, when all was said and done I would have probably saved about $50 versus buying a wrapper already assembled.

I have decided to go the wood route for the bed and save the $100. Plus with a nice color stain and a few coats of poly it will probably look pretty nice!!

I will post pics once complete!

Thanks guys for your tips!

Russ