Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

OK, so help with color layout puhleeze???

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

For my brother's b-day, I'm wrapping up a Lami spinning rod. smile.gif He's the patriotic type, so he's asked that I use the good ol' red, white, and blue as the colors for the guide and butt wraps. It's a dark grey blank. Being this is only my 2nd rod, I'd like some input on what would look best in terms of arranging the colors. Not planning on underwrapping the guides. Regular nylon thread (only type that I have to start with).

I appreciate the help.

Joe,

Since the blank is charcoal all of those colors look great next to the blank. I think the flag is pointing the way as to color patterrn. R.W.B.

I would suggest you underwrap with blue and do double overwraps. First white and then red. You will need to put a very light coat of finish on the underwraps so you can get a good pack on the white. If you opt not to, you will most likely get some "bleed" of blue through the white.

Have fun and post a pic so we can see the rod!!

Thanks,

CD

Joe, you are simply gonna have to get yourself some NCP white or you will not be happy with your results. No amount of anybody's CP will keep regular white thread nice 'n bright white, especially over a dark colored blank.

I dunno on the color layout if you're not gonna underwrap. Red guide wraps, tagged with a trim band of white and then blue at each end ought to give you a nice look and pretty fair color balance.

...and long as you're buying that NCP white you might wanna spring for a roll of blue mettalic. That'll "punch it up" a nice notch and look extra spiff smile.gif

I agree with BK regarding WHite. I go one step further, and use 1011 Gunmetal NCP rather than White, since it is less affected by sunlight down teh road. This is info I recieved from another longtime builder (Jeff V aka fishstix on te boards). The one wrap I did with NCP white doesn't look as good as it used to.

To each his own, I'd do a Silver underwrap with Blue Inlay (or Red inlays), and Red overwrap on teh guides (or Blue, switch teh colors from teh underwrap trim). Silver in this case = white.

QUESTION: What are you guys speaking of when you say "inlay"? Are those the diferent color wraps that one uses in the middle of an underwrap--ending up in the middle of the guide feet.

I guess I'll pickup some NCP white and gunmetal...twist my arm, why don'tcha? tongue.gif

I can't stand NCP, unless I want a "painted" look. My suggestion would be to paint the blank under the underwrap and undrwrap with pearl white. Put your red and blue in any combo on the guide wraps.

I'm generally no fan of NCP either Oz but we're only talking what... two 1/8" to 3/16" wide trim bands per guide here, not the primary wraps, and he started right out stating he did not want underwraps. The NCP white in that small a dose will look just fine.