Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HaulinBass60

Cracks at guide feet

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

It's the clear finish that is cracking. Is it a mass produced rod or a custom? Many of the store bought rods have too much finish globed around the guide feet or they don't put enough finish. This is because the finish is applied in a single application to save money. To get a good coverage, manufacturers put a big glob of finish which usually collects around the feet. The rod and the guides flex causing the finish to crack. I have found that just about all two-part finishes will crack. To reduce cracking I apply the finish only to thread portion for the first coat and a total of 3-4 coats, being careful around the guide feet as there is natural wicking tendency to fill the gap. In your case I would leave it alone unless it is chipped off completely. Your only other option might be to rewrap with a new coat of finish.

Why it happened is a different question than what you can do about it. Proper guide foot prep, proper finish technique and ample cure time are the only things that I know that can prevent it. The only thing that I would do now is to cut the guide off and do it over.