ironfish

Western NY steelhead

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Fished the Erie tribs near Buffalo Sun. / Mon .Got there Sat. to find the trib I wanted to fish still muddy with some slush and ice.Still in the learning curve with steelhead as this was my third trip so far to date .But armed with my John Nagy Steelhead guide ,maps and some local intel ,I went to scout some smaller nearby tribs which clear faster, Got there to find this trib stained but clearer and with less ice so I spent the rest of Sat. scouting / fishing different stretches in a 30+ mph wind with no bites .

Headed out Sun. with the temp@ 17 degrees and checked on my main trib again to find it a little clearer but heavy slush and ice so I continued on to the smaller trib and figured I would just keep scouting /fishing. Arrived there to find the conditions not horrible . A couple hours in I found a nice little run and second drift fish on !! Not big but a thrill none the less . 1000

Got back to it and shortly after hooked another which put up an impressive fight for its size.And the color on this fish was amazing.1000

I continued upstream to quickly find another nice run where I immediately hooked this real nice chrome hen.1000

I hooked 1 more fish that day that was a real screamer and the largest of the day but the hook pulled after a long run downstream.

I decided Mon. to return to the small trib again after seeing the main trib much clearer but still slushed and iced . In hindsight this was a mistake as the smaller trib was lower and much clearer and I spent a good part of the day there for 1 brief hook up and drop.Another lesson learned . Went back to the bigger trib and after a sketchy hike down a steep trail and breaking through ice to access the pool I quickly hooked a little hen .

A little while later I hooked another large that unfortunately spit the hook . I kept at it and at the end of a drift as I was starting to lift to recast a huge steelie came up and turned away breaking water ! I switched rigs and spent my last casts in the fading light swinging half the box through that pool with no luck .But felt truly blessed to have some success in some challenging conditions and learn a little more about this fishery .Oh and I did not see another fisherman both days where I fished ! Really enjoyed my time Can't wait to do it again. Ralph

Used to fish that area a LOT! There's some nat repro in a couple of the streams and you can tell by the fight when you hook one of those vs a stocker.Sounds like you got into a few.In the town of S of the Catt there is a town w/a namesake stream.It has a sewage plant flowing into it that keeps it unfrozen in below freezing temps.Kinda gross to think about,fishing in sewage effluent ,but we all do it in some variation no matter where we fish.Same w/ the Catt in Gowanda,ice free below the sewage plant most of the winter.

Nice thing about the Erie tribs is there are so many so close to ea other you can hit quite a few in a short time and find good conditions in at least a few.

Still learning my way around there .Haven't fished the Catt yet as it was blown out 2 out of the 3 trips I've made . Might have been fishable Mon. but I didn't want to risk it as I was staying north of there . Would love to take a few weeks in Nov. and explore all those tribs

Man, those are some great lookin fish! I can't wait to try my hand at some of those next year.

Thanks . Beware highly addictive fish ,

Did you fish the Creek that runs through Fredonia and Dunkirk?

The small trib is near angola

Reviving this older thread hoping for a little info on the Lake Erie tribs in late winter. I'll be in Buffalo for the end of January into early February visiting my fiance's family and was wondering if the Cat or other waters stay fishable this time of year. I know the weather can be miserable but would be willing to tough it out if there's an opportunity to get away for the day and catch some steelhead. 

Check out Alberto Rey. I attended a presentation he gave at an Orvis store last year and I was impressed. His website is albertorey dot com. He fishes a lot of the smaller tribs in western new york.

12 hours ago, smath said:

Check out Alberto Rey. I attended a presentation he gave at an Orvis store last year and I was impressed. His website is albertorey dot com. He fishes a lot of the smaller tribs in western new york.

Thanks for the info, given the limited time I have and the tough fishing conditions it would be nice to have a guide if possible. 

On January 7, 2020 at 2:50 PM, vanburenboys said:

Reviving this older thread hoping for a little info on the Lake Erie tribs in late winter. I'll be in Buffalo for the end of January into early February visiting my fiance's family and was wondering if the Cat or other waters stay fishable this time of year. I know the weather can be miserable but would be willing to tough it out if there's an opportunity to get away for the day and catch some steelhead. 

Nice blast from the past . Unfortunately I have no experience fishing there in the deep winter. And I've also heard good things from others in regards to Alberto . Who knows maybe you will get lucky and get some decent weather and worst case scenario you get out for the day and get some Intel for the spring or fall . I only got up there one weekend this year but got some fish . Never got up in the spring but I 've heard March / April can be productive when conditions are right . Either way good luck 

15 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Alberto would be you best bet, also check out his interview with Tom Rosenbauer on the Orvis flyfishing podcast.

This was great advice. Listened to the podcast on the drive home from work and Alberto mentions that fishing can last into late January, The fish are still be there in February, but weather and ice is the issue. In case anyone else is looking for the podcast is from Sept and titled "Secrets of Lake Erie Steelhead Tributaries, with Alberto Rey".