Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycman

need help fixing broken rod

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

hi all, i was out friday night fishing under the manhattan bridge with a friend. there was a nice bite on his 2pc 11' bait rod and he picked it up and set the hook in one powerfull motion. unfortunately the rod was wedged in the rail, and snapped in 2 eek.gif the fish was lost mad.gif

i want to try to repair this as practice (its a relatively cheap rod).

the rod is cleanly broken about 16" from the bottom of the top section between the 2nd and 3rd guides from the butt.

can i fix this? how? confused.gif

my first thought was to use a "sleeve" made out of a piece of graphite blank and insert both broken ends and a bunch of rodbond. am i on the right track? how will a repair of this type change the rod (action/power, etc.)

help!

you're on the right track. you may need to cut away some of the fibers from the broken ends. to get a straight edge. find a piece of blank that fits into the butt end snugly and goes in at least 4'-6". glue that piece in. do the same for the top piece. if there is a gap between the 2, just epoxy over. lastly, wrap thread over the outside of whole area on both pieces. you may eventually get a couple stress cracks after fishing it, but that's your only option. should be a bit stiffer.