Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim H

Question!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I use an old 8 1/2 ft fiberglass fly rod for crappie fishing with an ultra light spinning reel. It works fine but the snake guides are starting to show some wear. I primary use this rod with small jigs & spoons, even down to 1/80 oz.

I've always wanted to build a rod, just never got around to it.

Would it be more advantageous to replace the guides on the old fly rod with higher grade guides, that is, the type used on spinning rods, or to build a whole new rod for the same use?

I know the cost is different, and I know there are new blanks that would be more sensitive, but would a new rod really be that much different to use.

Thoughts, opinions & suggestions, please!

This is how I started building rods. I couldn't see paying someone else $10-15 to replace a guide. I would try to rebuild it, with better guides, single foots. Don't go crazy and put alconites or sic on that rod. It's just not worth it. One word of caution, when cutting off the old guides be sure that the guide foot is under the edge of the razor, if not you might cut the blank. Just a small cut in the blank and it will pop like a firecracker. Most importantly have fun with it and don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions.

If you are going to do the work of replacing the guides , use good ones. the decision to rebuild that one or make a whole new one should be made based on the quality of the blank the first one is made from. if you really like the action , rebuild it. If you would want something different , get the blank that has that action and build new.

if you go slow and settle for nothing but perfect work , you can build a great rod , first try..

Thanks for the replys! I've replaced guides on rods numerous times, but have never built a complete rod.

I don't really need another rod, and I like the action of the old fiberglass fly rods for what I use them for. They're very forgiving.

I've looked around for a decent 8-9 ft ultra light fiberglass spinning rod & they don't seem to be available. There are such rods in graphite, or composites, but not at a price I'm willing to pay.

I don't need a top of the line rod for my purposes. I also like the fiberglass because it just don't seem to break like graphite. I take care of my equipment, but it will get used hard!

I agree about using good guides, and I'm a perfectionist anyway.(Just look at the pics of my flies & lures I posted in the other forums!)

I'll keep the responses in mind, and when I decide what I'm doing I'll ask some more questions & for advise.

Thanks again!

Jim