Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

YETI coolers (or similar).... is there a better way??

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Igloo MaxCold 50...I have had and have many others.

These are tough and well insulated.

The "new" hinges suck...replace them with brass, and the plastic thing that keeps it from opening too far...replace that with a piece of crimped cable.

I had an igloo maxcold filled with hog meat and ice a few years back. It was a larger size, 150 as I recal. I went to move it by pulling on one handle. The handle and half the outside plastic ripped clean off the cooler. Not to mention the multitudes of latches, hinges, drains and handles I've had to replace on igloo coolers. I got tired of fixing them. I even had one that got holes punched in the liner because of some large and fisty catfish. I got tired of substandard plastic lids breaking and not sealing.

So for me the decision to go with high end coolers was not about ice retention only. It was much more than that.

When Brute Outdoors first came out I bought the first 50qt they ever sold. The company owner came onto a Texas based forum claiming his coolers were as good or better than Yeti. Everybody hoorahed him and scoffed at his claims. But I took a chance on him. He told me if I could break it he would refund my money. I tested it extensively, wrote a review and posted it. That was back in 2011. I was impressed with them then. They are even better now. And cheaper than Yeti, and most other high end coolers. His company has taken off and he has a decent sized dealer network now that covers most of Texas and I think he may have a few in Oklahoma and Louisiana too. He will ship anywhere in the USA and he ships fast I got all of mine in about two days.

I don't work for them. I just love the coolers. Customer service is excellent. You call them and they respond. I can't say enough good about them.

I can't believe the retail on these things..... anyone have any intell what the mark-up might be on them??

its just unimaginable to think a PLASTIC COOLER could cost $700.......?

I can't believe the retail on these things..... anyone have any intell what the mark-up might be on them??

its just unimaginable to think a PLASTIC COOLER could cost $700.......?

Sometimes you get what you pay for sometimes not. I ran into a guy on the beach once with one of those big yeti types. It was about 5'long and about 2'wide. This guy was a bunker chunker and could hold sooo much bait that it would blow your mind. He says he keeps fresh for a llloooonnngggg time.

It was made by Yeti but they misspelled the name the vet it was supposed to go to so he got it for $200, a $700 cooler for $200. Maybe just look out for the right deal to come along. Then again it depends on what you think you need and for how long you need it...

Coleman Extreme. works great.

h

Agreed! I cant bring myself to shell out the dough for one of the "pro" grade coolers. I do think the pricey coolers are much more likely to be stolen off a boat or from the back of a truck than a reasonably priced one. I currently use a coleman extreme and before that an Igloo marine which lasted for 16 years out in the weather before it cracked and looked really crappy. I have my doubts that the premium coolers will last a lifetime.

Valentine

I have a small yeti that I use exclusively for bait. There is no way that that I would leave it in the cooler rack overnight unless it was chained down. I also have a larger Orca for food and drink that stays in the back of the truck. Putting 20 lbs of ice in the Orca will turn bottles of water into ice. The Orca is similar to a yeti, but the Orca carries a lifetime warranty. These coolers do an excellent job of holding ice, but there is a drawback and that is they are very heavy….even heavier when loaded. The bigger coolers are two man jobs to move. Once I get the Orca loaded, it doesnt move until the fishing trip is over.

Commenting on the reviews that were done on a wide range of coolers. The flaw in the review is that the coolers were not prepped properly. If you want a thermos to hold hot liquids you fill it with hot water to heat up the walls, dump the water and refill with desired liquid. The same thing must be done with coolers. If you dump ice in any cooler the walls will need to cool down before it is actually insulating. If you have thin walls they cool down quickly. If you have a thick walled cooler it will take longer. Regardless of thickness the cooler is eating away at your ice as it cools down or charges its walls. Once the walls are charged the thicker walled coolers far exceed the thinner walled coolers.

So for me if I am planning a day or two day trip it is not a big deal. I just bring the cooler into the house with AC to cool it a bit and use block ice that I make in my coffin freezer and it does the job. If I am going for a long trip I will fill the cooler with ice the day before I plan to actually fill the cooler. When it is time to fill the cooler I will drain the water, remove the ice, put down a base of block ice, fill the cooler with food. Use chip ice to fill in small air gaps between, use as much block ice as I can, and top off with chipped ice. Now that the cooler is filled I will close the lid and let any ice melt drain before closing the drain plug. This will eliminate as much sitting water, and air as possible creating somewhat of a vacuum seal. Now don’t go into the cooler till it needs to be accessed.

I recently did this on a trip to Block Island. Due to work I had to pack the cooler on the 25th and keep it in the car not to be opened till the 29th. Yes in the car the car for four days five nights of June. When unlading the cooler it had very little ice melt. Maybe a small water bottle of ice had drained out but what the melting of the chipped ice did was make a solid block on top of the cooler that I actually needed to chip at when I opened up the cooler. And yes all food was till frozen in my Pelican cooler.

I've had my igloo marine 168Qts for over 20 years now. They hold ice for 4-5 days if you don't open the lid too much. Yes hinges and the thing that hold the lid from flopping over backwards have had to be replaced, but they are cheap enough and not much work. I could buy three of them for the price of one of the high end coolers, so I'll stick with them when replacement time finally rolls around.