Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bristol Lou

Permagloss

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I decided to refinish an oldie but goodie. Rod is an old 7' Shaksphere graphite.Today out of boredom and 30 mph south winds I decided to get started on it. The finish was peeling in some spots. I removed the guides and scraped the spots that were blistering then scrubbed with steel wool.Most of the finish is gone. There is still a little left but it is not loose and seems to be adhering well to the blank. Only way I see to remove the rest is to sand lightly but I'm afraid of damaging the graphite. I think I'm going to refinish the blank with Permagloss.

Questions.

Do I need to remove all the finish? If so how do I go about it?

Is Permagloss the way to go or is there something better?

Where can I get Permagloss or The other product?

Thanks for any help smile.gif

Lou , if you are going to take the time to re-do the rod you should get all of the epoxy off where the guide wraps were , the finish on the blank itself you can leave alone , exept to scuff it before finishing it .You can use a hair drier to soften the finish and scrape off with a razor blade (hold at 90deg to the blank) , being careful not to cut the blank .

After wrapping the guides back on you can use Permagloss , but it will take several coats to get a deep, smooth finish on the wraps. I would use somthing like Flex Coat of Aftcote for that . If you are concerned about finishing just the blank , Permagloss is the thing . No mixing and very thin . Apply with your finger wiping lengthwise on the blank (wear a rubber glove)2 coats should do it. Let dry 1 hr between coats , and seal the bottle good when done . John

Thanks guys, I'll take a ride to Brielle next weekend. smile.gif

The rod is stripped of all wrapping and guides. I figured I would do the rod with permagloss then rewrap and do the wraps with flex coat.