Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyT

Help... first time fly rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al,

I've decided to try my hand at buiding a fly rod and had a few questions, if you don't mind... The details are as follows:

- 8 wt, 10.5 ft

- what are the largest striping guides would you place on the rod ?

- I noticed that the tying thread comes in 2 sizes... Which size ?

- Do new blanks need to have finish applied to them ?

Thanks in advance,

AnthonyT

Tony,

I would use a #20 stripping guide. In addition, I would add a secind #16 stripper 4-inches from the #20 guide. This will add approximately 20% to your shooting distance.

Wrap with size A thread and only coat the wraps with a thin coat of finish.

Al

Al,

I've read a few of your guide spacing posts and just wanted to make sure that I really understood.....

In you response above it mentioned a second #16 and this is where I have questions:

- Does it make a difference if the second 16 is a 16 or a 12 ?

- Do you space the entire rod and place the second 16# 4 inches right after the 1st 16, therefore having a greatly reduced space between the 1st and 2nd #16 and also between the 2nd 16# and next guide up ?

I was also considering bumping up the #20 to a #25, therefore 25, 20, 16, 12 and then on to #6 and 5 snake guides... for 10 1/2 foot rod. Good, bad , insane, ....

By the way I love your baby powder trick... real nifty....

Thanks in advance,

AnthonyT

Tony,

Let's start from the beginning. You want to build a 10.5 foot 8 weight. Therefore you will be using 10-11 guides. If you want to use a #25 stripper that's fine, but I would go with a #20. For 11 guides the guides would be as follows: 20, 16, 12, all double foot guides, then go Fuji single foot 10,10,10,8,8,8,8,8 plus a Fuji tip.

Set the spacing for all the guides as directed by the blank manufacturer as a starting point. Tape the guides in place and both test cast and do a stress distribution test. Then do a final adjustment to the spacing as needed.

Once the position of all the guides have been determined, now take another #16 guide and place it 4 inches in front of the #20 stripper guide on the tip side.

That's it.

Al