Followers 0
big country

building my 1st fly rod.. need advice..

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey Al, (and everyone else)

so, here I go.

this is what I am about to order.

-G-Loomis 9ft 10wt (model# 23565-01) 2 piece, tip size is 4.5 and butt size is .47

-Heavy duty handle kit- Heavy duty all aluminum reel seat, and machined hoods for heavy duty reel mounting. cork handle length 13 1/4". The 2" fighting butt is detachable. Reel seat used is the A6.

My questions are.. how do I know that handle kit will fit the blank? (its made by the same website im buying it from and it says "fits most heavy rods". Im assuming a 10 wt fits that category.

How many guides and sizes should I use? I would like to use 2 BNLG's to start. what size? then, I guess snake eyes for the rest of the guides.

Then, lastly, what store on Long Island is suited to help me out??? who carries fly rod building supplies?? I need a place like causeway or Mark flynn etc, that I can run into and get what i need quickly, if thats possible.

Are the prices for the stuff Im about to buy good??? blank is $44.43 (anglers workshop) handle kit is 39.95 (shofftackle.com).

thanks,

BC (dave)

Dave,

I built a similar rod 2 years ago using the A6 seat and a fixed 1 1/2" fighting butt. At the time, I didn't want to invest a lot of $ in the project so I kept simple using 3 stripper guides, BNLG 20, 16 and 12 and heavy duty double footed snake guides on out to an oversized fly tip top. While not top of the line by any stretch, it turned out to be a very good rod that casts and fishes well.

If I were to build it over again, I might go with all alconite guides along the entire length of the rod, starting from the butt end with 20 (might have to go with SIC or Hardloy for the 20), 16, 12 double foots (BLNAG), then going to a 10 single foot fly guide (BLAG), down to size 8 single foot guides (BLAG) out to a size 8 tip (BFAT). You might even get away with using 7's, depending on the size of the knots you'll need to pass through the guides. Last year I built a St. Croix 4FT909 with all alconites and it's a pleasure to fish.

Your prices look good, especially for the blank, which is a steal at $44.43. You'll end up with a very nice rod for a little over $100, excluding your labor of course.

Good luck, Mark

IMHO, a 13" grip is not needed on a 9' 10wt. A basic 7" full wells is fully functional and won't kill the balance and look of the rod.

I like Aconite strippers over hardaloy as they look a little more svelt.

gad

gad,

After looking at shofftackle, I think BC meant that the full handle length is 13", including seat and fighting butt.

Mark

I hope so

I just built my first one. Need to finish it, but it turned out to be much easier than I thought.

Only tip I can tell you is to keep your guide wraps as short as possible. Well, now that I write that I guess it depends on the action you want the rod to have.

I think my wraps ended up to be a little too long and they stiffened the rod up a god bit.

Nothing like building a surf rod. Damn those snake eyes are tiny!!!!!!