Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10x10

Guides sizes and placement for xra1322

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Recently purchased the blank for building into a conventional rod.I have never built one of these things but I've built plenty of fly rods.Please reccomend type and size of guides and placement on rod.Not concerned with cost of guides if they hold up to hard use.I don't plan on using braid.Probably 17 lb. mono mostly if that make a difference.Strictly plugging rod.No bait chuckin.

Thinkin one of those Calcutta reels on this.

Maybe Penn 975.

10X10,

You can go either of two ways:

- For really hard fishing I would recommend the Fuji HNSG SIC or HNLG Hardaloy in the following sizes: 20,16,16,12,12,12,12 and a UST tip with a #12 ring.

- For lighter duty fishing then you can go with the Fuji NSG SIC's in the following sizes: 25,20,16,16,12,12,12 and a UST tip.

If distance is an important issue then go with a non levelwind reel like the Calcutta 400S, Abu 6500 Mag Elite or 7500CT, or Penn 525 Mag.

Al

Al

Hi Al:

This my first post in your forum, but I've been watching for awhile---great stuff. I'm planning to wrap an XRA1322, but would like some clarification regarding your guide size recommendation.

In an earler thread Eye spacing for XRA1322 you recommended conventional guides Fuji HNSG/BHNLG: 20,16,16,12,12,10,10,10,10 plus a UST tip.

Why does this differ from the 20,16,16,12,12,12,12 and a UST tip with a #12 ring that you recommended to 10x10? Also, what color threads would you recommend with this blank?

Thanks for your help.

JoeA

Joe,

The #12 guides allow you to use fewer guides since they sit higher of the blank. It is a matter of personal preference. Both will work well.

You can even go with fewer guides as Ron Arra does. He uses Fuji NSG's in the followeing sizes: 30,25,20,16,12 plus a tip.

As far as thread colors, the blank is chestnut brown. Earthtone colors will work well. A favorite of mine is metallic red underwrap with gold metallic trim and inlays and Chestnut or Dark Brown overwraps.

Al

10X10,

CA said you will at the Freeport Show so let's talk about this rod.

Yes, you should underwrap. I will give you all the reasons when I see you.

Al