Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JustinF

NCP or Standard Nylon Thread?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am ordering the thread for my first rod and I am not sure which to go w/. I was going to use Gudebrod Black in size "C" for wraps and Gudebrod HT Metallic in Pearl size "A" for the trim. Please advise.

Justin

Justin,

I generally prefer regular nylon. A NCP wrap looks like it was painted on. Regarding the pearl trim. If you're wrapping on a dark colored blank, it will bleed and won't look like you think it might. You might use silver metallic instead. Test it on a scrap blank. If you have no scrap, wrap it on yur blank and wet it. That'll give you an idea of what it will look like when epoxied.

Justin,

What type of rod are you building? Are you planning on doing an underwrap(which I suggest if its a surf rod). Go with standard nylon black and metallics look nice for underwraps in size A.

I use D thread for guide wraps on the larger guides and then drop down to A for the smaller ones. Just the way I do it as everyone does it differently!!

Dont know what color your blank is but a nice combo is burgundy metallic underwraps with black nylon guidewrap and silver trimbands.

Russ

I go with A thread all the way!

Underwrap and coat with a light coat of finish, place the guides and overwrap... Do a coat of finish and be sure to fill the tunnel (space along the guide foot) overwrap again and build the final coats of finish. I let the rod dry a few days between coats. A thread is skinny but, the three turns of A to a single turn of D is stronger and gives the wrap a slimmer profile on the blank. As for NPC vs regular? go with regular... If you prefer the threads color dry, put a coat of color preserver (gudebrod 811) on each layer and it will sparkle nicely. I find the NCP thread to look dull in comparison. The pearl metallic looks nice with dark wraps, but as stated it will be a bit subdued once wetted out. However, it still looks great.

CD

I'd go with standard A thread for everything except around the reel seat where the C or D works well. I would go with metallic if you are thinking pearl or white cause the light colors will require color preserver in normal thread. So you probably need 3 spools. one A black standard , one metallic Pearl and one C or D black for the seat area. I often do the whole rod in A but sometimes for a beginner the heavier thread makes it easier around the seat and up the taper which can be challenging at first. I would much prefer metallic over a standard thread where light colors require the color preserver. in fact , I hate color preserver. On the other hand , I don't like NCP thread either!. smile.gif

Never saw any color NCP that didn't fade and dull after a couple of seasons...I too hate color preserver but it's the only way to get rich, lasting sparkle from your wraps. biggrin.gif