Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Report on the Allstar 1267

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been using this rod for two days in Newburyport, MA. This is a 10 1/2 foot rod that I had wrapped as a conventional with alconite guides.

For those of you who are not familiar with Allstar/Breakaway blanks, they make three rods at the length, the 1265 (known to some as the "spanish buster", the 1266 (which is listed as a breakaway rod) and the 1267. The last number relates to the power of the rod.

I got a 1267 because I wanted a rod with more usable power than the 1265 (and because I am a TACKLE HO!!!! smile.gif ).

I have a 1265 which is very good for throwing a 2 oz lure a very long ways but I wanted something that would throw even farther if I were to lean into it and something that could cast heavier weights.

Characteristics, the 1267 is a light but very strong rod. I suppose it is not as fast an action as many of the other breakaway-like rods but it is STRONG. When you lean into with a good hatteras, OTG, or pendulum cast you can feel that blank really load before launching a metal lure way out. I used a variety of metal lures (stingsilvers, crippled herrings, bombers, charlie graves. I had a blue yonder CT on the rod.

Casting-wise, I found it to cast 2 oz very well -- a little better than my 1265. The sweet spot was around 3 oz although it seemed to cast 4 oz as far. I had heard that this was a good rod but was very suprised at how far it cast. I was casting over water but I think I was hitting an honest 150 yards with my best casts. (I have hit a 150 measured yards on a golf course with a 9 foot rod so I know it is possible for me). With 2 oz the rod might have cast 10 yards less. I did not try casting 5 oz but I think it would handle it well but I suspect that is the maximum that you might want to try with this rod if you plan to cast it hard.

For me, this is the rod I want if I want to walk the beach for 5 hours casting metal for stripers, blues, etc. I think it would also make a good bait rod. I don't have much experiece using floating lures and can not report on that aspect of the rod. It is light, much lighter than the breakaway 11'9", but capable of enought distance to handle most long distance scenarios that one is going to find on the beach.

I think I'm in love.

Tom

hi DW

i got a 1267-2 at the same time you did, but i built mine spinning with fuji lowrider guides for a stradic 5000 loaded with 30lb PP. ill post my opinions on the blank as well.

i agree 100% the sweet spot is 3oz

im no great caster but i measured over 125m at long beach one night with a 3 or 4 bank sinker. a 2 or 5 casts almost as well for me, 8 doesn't go very far at all wink.gif it would be great for casting heavy metal.

i use it for baitfishing and it casts a 2 or 3+bait faaaaar. a 4 or 5+ bait works great too, but 6-8+bait is too much. with the medium action it just lobs it.

it is stiff like most graphite rods, but is medium action.

i havent had any "big" fish on it so far, but the few blues i caught on it this summer gave me an idea of how much power is in the blank. plenty.

this fall i will give it a real workout (hopefully)

Hi NYCMAN, I caught two 12 lb blue fish on the 1267 today. I was a lot of fun. The heaviest I have gone is 4 oz and bait. I am leery of going higher. Did you actually try 8 and bait?

Tom

ive thrown 8+ a HEAD!!

yeah, it held up just fine, that is 1 tough blank, but it just lobs it. i was undergunned in the surf that night. i didn't try to cast hard though, didn't want to break it just max it out.

i lean into 5+bait with it regularly at my local spot and it seems fine, but im afraid of trying too hard with 6+bait or more.